Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Default PT 10 Compatibility downgrade....

Has anyone else experienced the feeling that Digi (Avid) is still digging for more money?! Before crossgrading to PT10, I had PT 8.0.6. It worked fine, no problems. I could mix and have all my automation parameters at hand. I own DV Toolkit 2. I upgraded to 10 and now have absolutely NO control over automation other than volume, and THAT is even challenging. My workflow has slowed to half because I have to manually write everything including pans, and forget about eq or plugin automation.

So, I've decided to downgrade back to 8 so I can finish my 2 projects properly (without spending $1000 to get what I had, which I will have to do at some point). Has ANYONE had to do this, and if you have, does it screw up the licensing to reinstall 10 again?

Thanks
R
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Default Re: PT 10 Compatibility downgrade....

I have PT 8, 9, and 10 all running on separate drives with no issue.

I haven't experienced any downgrade in automation performance in PT10. Could you elaborate please?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I have PT 8, 9, and 10 all running on separate drives with no issue.

I haven't experienced any downgrade in automation performance in PT10. Could you elaborate please?

Hey Tom, thanks. It's performance perse, it's the "unlocking" or rather "re-unlocking" of the "automation package"; something you didn't have to buy before. For example, when writing pan/volume automation withing a region, I can't simply highlight it, call up the fader, make my adjustments, and write the automation. When you upgrade, you have to have purchased the Complete Construction Kit. I just don't have an extra $1000 right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Oh, I see. Then it's the loss of the DV Toolkit features that is plaguing you.

As PT8 is not ilok based, there will not be a practical issue as long as you run it on AVID hardware. As far as the technical question of absolute legal licensing, AVID needs top step in here. As this is an upgrade, there may be a question.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM

For what it's worth, the upgrade from DV Toolkit to Complete Toolkit is $799, not $1000.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
For what it's worth, the upgrade from DV Toolkit to Complete Toolkit is $799, not $1000.
Thanks, looked at the price. Same same but different.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Oh, I see. Then it's the loss of the DV Toolkit features that is plaguing you.

As PT8 is not ilok based, there will not be a practical issue as long as you run it on AVID hardware. As far as the technical question of absolute legal licensing, AVID needs top step in here. As this is an upgrade, there may be a question.
So, you are able to run multiple rigs on your setup. You must have external drives with a bootable system on each? I tried to install PT8 underneath the PT10 Avid, both running off of the Mbox2. It just crashed a bunch of times. Now I'm uninstalling both and reinstalling 10 to save my sessions as a compatible format, then uninstalling 10 and reinstalling 8. OK, this seems really awkward to me....is there a better way to do this?

...and yes, it's the locked out features of the DVToolkit that is making my life nasty right now.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Many of us have multiple system drives and swap them out at will(using tool-less SATA drive cages makes this easy and fast on a PC). My other word of advice is a bit late, but I never make a system change when I have unfinished projects, unless I have a backup plan(drive imaging rocks).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earshatter View Post
So, you are able to run multiple rigs on your setup. You must have external drives with a bootable system on each? I tried to install PT8 underneath the PT10 Avid, both running off of the Mbox2. It just crashed a bunch of times. Now I'm uninstalling both and reinstalling 10 to save my sessions as a compatible format, then uninstalling 10 and reinstalling 8. OK, this seems really awkward to me....is there a better way to do this?

...and yes, it's the locked out features of the DVToolkit that is making my life nasty right now.
Actually I have five spinning internals and one SSD. And yes, each PT version is on a separate drive. Each one is imaged on external drives using Acronis True Image..

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Many of us have multiple system drives and swap them out at will(using tool-less SATA drive cages makes this easy and fast on a PC). My other word of advice is a bit late, but I never make a system change when I have unfinished projects, unless I have a backup plan(drive imaging rocks).
Yeah, I know. It's too late. I was no problem, but for some reason I can't "Save Copy As" because of some stupid error. Probably a line count thing....grrrrrrrrr.