Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Smile Playback problem on 11 Rack

Hello everybody, and sorry for my bad english.

Last week I bought an Eleven Rack + Pro Tools 10.2 bundle (which I love), and I still have a problem when using playback tracks to jam with.

I can hear my guitar sound through my headphones and active speakers.

On the other hand, the only way I can listen to the backing track I copied in Pro Tools is when I change "Settings" - "playback engine" - to "Digidesign Eleven Rack" (as I saw on this forum).

When I do that, I can hear my backing track, but my guitar sound is automatically cut.

I also tried to uncheck "input only monitoring" as someone explained in another topic, with no results.

I'm novice to Pro Tools, but I didn't have this problem in Cubase or Samplitude, and the fact that I can listen to either the playback OR the guitar makes me think the gear and the track are OK.

Thank you for your help if you have a clue about what's going on
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Playback problem on 11 Rack

First you should probably default the IO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjk5qVFEE8

Create your tracks. At least a Stereo Audio track for the backing track, a stereo or mono audio track for your guitar, and a stereo master track.

Set the Input of the guitar track to Eleven Rig L/R. Arm the track. Then press play, thats pretty much it. If you are not getting sound from a track, try toggleing the input mode (Alt+K)

You could also use an AUX track for the guitar if you want, then you don't have to Arm.

And it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, make sure the input of the Eleven Rig is set to Guitar.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-04-2012, 01:52 AM

Hello, and thank you for your answer.

I watched your video with attention, and still don't manage to route the signal through pro tools.

First I must say that I desinstalled and re-installed the program, and as for the 1st time, it gave me 2 pro-tools hardwares "types" (HD, TDM etc... I don't remember) to choose from, and I left the 1st type checked, because I've never found anywhere which one Eleven Rack belongs to.

The second point is I can never "default" the output, only the input (for the output, it is not possible to click on "default".

On your video I can see that "Eleven Rack" (with a picture of it) can be seen under "A" into both input and output windows.

I can only see under "A" the letters "BLTLNP" with no pictures, on the "input" window, and only "guitar in / mic in", no eleven rack or whatever.

into the "output" window, I can see nine I/O lines, just like you before you "default" it (which I just can't do).

"audition path" and "default output bus" are set to "none" and cannot be changed too (if I click on it, I can only see "no output" checked, and I can't change it or uncheck it.

it's worth mentioning that in this output window I don't have neither the "A" letter nor anything under, such as "Eleven Rack" or the weird "BLTLNP" letters.

I'm pretty lost there... because I've never had this kind of troubles with other hardwares (RME, MOTU etc...) I've had in the past, and even if I'm new to Pro Tools, I've managed to work with other DAWS (Samplitude, Cubase, Live etc...) without experimenting this kind of I/O problems... so I can't think about anything special to do to fix it.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Did you install the driver for the Eleven Rack?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 AM

Yes I had downloaded the 11 Rack drivers from the DVD, but I desinstalled it and downloaded the latest drivers from avid.

You gave me a good tip because after doing that, my 11R was recognized into the input/output windows, instead of the "BLTLNP" letters.

But to listen to anything, I had to change "Settings" - "playback engine" - to "Digidesign Eleven Rack".

I didn't have time to test it long enough, but I think things work OK now.

Thank you for your fast support sir Benoni