Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Angry Price too high for simple changes. Why?? Avid!

Price too high for simple changes. Why?? Avid!

Put down that price! Very few real changes !!!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Price too high for simple changes. Why?? Avid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecord View Post

Please also contact Avid directly for concerns on upgrade pricing. This forum is read by DTS and other PT users, not Avid.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM

also if it's to high don't buy it. I am glad i get the upgrade for free due to having the student license, however if i had to pay $300 whatever. The way i look at it is it's not that it's to high, the new features included don't appeal to me much. I'll take it for free yes but if I had to pay that much to upgrade to say Pro Tools 12 or whatever year ends up being my last free upgrade I would. However if i was broke I would be fine with in this case pro Tools 9 until an official 64 bit version is released.

The price is reasonable if you consider what is in the new version. It comes down to 3 letters, AAX. At the end of the day your plugins may be the same once converted to this format, but it is basically rtas and tdm completely rewritten. Now i will admit i have known about RTAS 2 from a very trusty gearslutz member for a long time, before PT 9 was even released. So this is about 2-3 years in the making most likely. With that in mind a lot of time and money was put into that feature and they feel that tech is solid so they gave it an intense price tag.

Also I wouldn't expect Pro Tools 11 anytime soon, I think Avid decided to take this opportunity to hit 10 instead of just calling it 9.1 just so they can have the whole 10 number going on in their version. Pro Tools 64 bit will probably be Pro Tools 10.1 or they will rebrand it as Pro Tools X, one of those 2 are likely scenarios.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
also if it's to high don't buy it.
The trouble is if you don't buy it, Avid will punish you for it with the next upgrade if the current HD10 upgrades are anything to go by.

I don't agree with the original post AT ALL. There is nothing simple about some of the fundamental changes Avid have made in PT10, not to mention a LONG list of new features.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
also if it's to high don't buy it. I am glad i get the upgrade for free due to having the student license, however if i had to pay $300 whatever. The way i look at it is it's not that it's to high, the new features included don't appeal to me much. I'll take it for free yes but if I had to pay that much to upgrade to say Pro Tools 12 or whatever year ends up being my last free upgrade I would. However if i was broke I would be fine with in this case pro Tools 9 until an official 64 bit version is released.

The price is reasonable if you consider what is in the new version. It comes down to 3 letters, AAX. At the end of the day your plugins may be the same once converted to this format, but it is basically rtas and tdm completely rewritten. Now i will admit i have known about RTAS 2 from a very trusty gearslutz member for a long time, before PT 9 was even released. So this is about 2-3 years in the making most likely. With that in mind a lot of time and money was put into that feature and they feel that tech is solid so they gave it an intense price tag.

Also I wouldn't expect Pro Tools 11 anytime soon, I think Avid decided to take this opportunity to hit 10 instead of just calling it 9.1 just so they can have the whole 10 number going on in their version. Pro Tools 64 bit will probably be Pro Tools 10.1 or they will rebrand it as Pro Tools X, one of those 2 are likely scenarios.
It is not as simple as don't buy it. I and others who depend on PT for whatever reasons will surely upgrade because we want the new features. Doesn't change the fact that as someone else pointed out that for native users upgrading to 9 and now 10, that's near the full price of PT 10 in just a year. That's kinda messed up regardless of features or one being able to afford it. Maybe it's just the timing and price of this upgrade. Oh well, won't lose sleep over it... just an opinion.

Yeah, I don't agree with the OP either... no update is simple. But can anyone disagree that the upgrade pricing is a bit weird on all levels? Nothing wrong with Avid hearing opinions on that. Nonetheless, PT 10 is awesome. Look forward to PT 11, the new plug format and 64 bit.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Don't forget the fact that the upgrade prices for HD users are $1000 from 9, $1500 from 8 and $2500 from 7.4. That is a 200%, 300% and roughly 500% increase over past increases. Not chump change by any means. It also has the wonderful new feature of punishing people even more based on which version of PT's that they are on. Is that defensible or not?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Not to mention the high crossgrade price from 8LE to 10 ! 499$
On top of that as European customers we have to deal with unfair exchange rates... 499$ is equal to 360 Euro today and not 427,21 Euro as listed on the avid store !

Sorry avid I wont break my balls on it this time ...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecord View Post

I've been following comments about this on the forum all weekend. While I won't be upgrading for a while (I want to operate PT9 fully approved on Lion first), I'd hardly say that there's "no real changes" in PT10. There's a lot under the hood on this one. Avid is facing a lot of challenges on several fronts: the rush to native processing, the migration to 64-bit, and the demands of the post community. Anybody clamoring for improved RTAS has got to appreciate what they're doing with the new plugs, and what kind of work that issue involves just by itself.

I'm glad to see them digging in and rewriting a lot of the program from the bottom up. I'm much more satisfied watching them work, then for example waiting years for any new development news from Logic, then watching Apple just pile on more half-baked features without fixing basic design issues.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Please also contact Avid directly for concerns on upgrade pricing. This forum is read by DTS and other PT users, not Avid.
Thats part of the problem...
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The trouble is if you don't buy it, Avid will punish you for it with the next upgrade if the current HD10 upgrades are anything to go by.

I don't agree with the original post AT ALL. There is nothing simple about some of the fundamental changes Avid have made in PT10, not to mention a LONG list of new features.
Hi !
Almost all these changes I know of other DAWS ..