Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Intel Mac Mini on Win XP and PTLE 7.0

Just got our first report from the dark side that the new Intel Mac Mini on Win XP and PTLE 7.0 works. This may be an option for those looking to purchase the Intel based Macs until Digi gets support for OSX on this new platform. I think the Intel Mac Mini may be the hottest thing since sliced bread. Keep buying stock! Another great thing about this little computer is the ability to transport it to the Pro studio for mixing/mastering etc. I'm getting one for my plasma screen. I prefer OSX for browsing, email, and graphics, and I like PTLE on Win XP. What is there to argue about?

Allen
Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Intel Mac Mini on Win XP and PTLE 7.0

Hey Allen,
I have been very excited about the new mac-intel computers, but have heard of some problems are still being ironed out with the macbooks in general. with having heard this I think I will stick to an old dog to do my new tricks. Looking at the old dogs I am realizing the huge price differences too. As it seems for around a similar price of the new macbook I could get myself a G5 dual and a Ibook too. I would like a laptop for travel but am ok with small track count on it if I could import the small sessions onto a desktop for finalizing. do you think the Ibook could do the trick? will the G5 do the rest? or should I try to get a Windows system laptop for everything. I have been on the site reading posts for months now and would really love to TALK to someone about how to spend on a system I can use now and expand later.
thank you in advance

Joe Taylor

Dell 8400, Mbox original pt. 6.7
Old 03-30-2006, 03:05 PM

http://www.osx86project.org/index.ph...tpage&Itemid=1
Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Hey Allen,
I have been very excited about the new mac-intel computers, but have heard of some problems are still being ironed out with the macbooks in general. with having heard this I think I will stick to an old dog to do my new tricks. Looking at the old dogs I am realizing the huge price differences too. As it seems for around a similar price of the new macbook I could get myself a G5 dual and a Ibook too. I would like a laptop for travel but am ok with small track count on it if I could import the small sessions onto a desktop for finalizing. do you think the Ibook could do the trick? will the G5 do the rest? or should I try to get a Windows system laptop for everything. I have been on the site reading posts for months now and would really love to TALK to someone about how to spend on a system I can use now and expand later.
thank you in advance

Joe Taylor

Dell 8400, Mbox original pt. 6.7
I'd wait for compatibility on the MacBook Pro Duo Intels. The older G4s like the one I'm using works fine for smaller sessions but lacks power for mixing larger sessions. I would not get an iBook again. I'm either giving this one to my nephew to use for small projects or selling it. This is an oversized iPod in my opinion with less impressive graphics than an iPod. Go MacBook Pro with 2Ghz or better when they come out. PTLE should be ready by this summer.

Allen
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 AM

If I waited on the Macbook until summer do you think when I do get one it will be all the computer I will need for PT and Photoshop and the internet. My demands for a computer are in many aspects of my life and this is why I thought splitting the load between a less powerful Ibook and a Dual or Dual core G5 would be my solution. I have a couple grand right now and can most likely save a bit more before the new mac releases. What do you think about the jump between the G5 dual and the G5 quad. btw do you know of anyone doing a DaveC on the Ibook G4? I cant seem to find much information on them with protools, yet they come off in advertisments as a good combo with the Mbox.

Allen, thank you for the increadibly quick reply
joe
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
If I waited on the Macbook until summer do you think when I do get one it will be all the computer I will need for PT and Photoshop and the internet. My demands for a computer are in many aspects of my life and this is why I thought splitting the load between a less powerful Ibook and a Dual or Dual core G5 would be my solution. I have a couple grand right now and can most likely save a bit more before the new mac releases. What do you think about the jump between the G5 dual and the G5 quad. btw do you know of anyone doing a DaveC on the Ibook G4? I cant seem to find much information on them with protools, yet they come off in advertisments as a good combo with the Mbox.

Allen, thank you for the increadibly quick reply
joe
Joe,
I think the G5 will be obsolete by the end of this year and support will be lost in another year or two. The new duo Intels will outperform the dual G5s with less heat produced. This MacBook Pro will be more than you will need for everything. By this summer XP support will probably be there for it as well making dual booting into XP or OSX a reality.

Allen
Old 04-01-2006, 07:59 AM

I don't think G5's will be obsolete, per se, but I'm sure whatever Apple delivers to replace the PowerMac will outperform any G5.

That said, there are a LOT of PowerPC Macs out there, and I think Universal Binaries to be around for several years, at least. Once code is properly written to be built as a Universal Binary, keeping it that way is very easy.

I love my Quad, but I look forward to seeing what Apple does with high-end Intel systems.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:25 AM

I'm glad to hear that because I have 6 iMac G5s now that would cost me a fortune if I didn't have Apple Care Protection on them. That MacBook Pro is going to kill the PC competition if the drivers can be worked out to get it to dual boot into XP. Did you see the ATI X1600 graphics card they put in this thing now? Yikes. That is a gamer's dream card let alone pushing incredible HD video to a large plasma screen. I'm glad I bought this stock when I did. This is the best new release from Apple since....... well since the iPod? LOL
I'm upgrading to the MacBook Pro this summer.

Allen