How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 AM

Default Allocate more memory to Pro Tools

Win 7 64 bits, 9 Gb RAM, i7 CPU, PT9

Anybody knows how to allocate more memory to pro tools 9 in windows 7?
I think it can only see about 1.5 gb as my estimate or that's about all it can use before I start getting errors and crashes.

I'm getting a lot of "Pro tools couldn't backup your session", "Extremly low on memory, pro tools will shut down", "Allocate more memory to Pro Tools" and all that.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Allocate more memory to Pro Tools

bump but i will take a stab at it.

this is most likely a software error that avid didn't have to to fix, probably had overly obsessed terrible beta testers, and chances are avid computers never experienced the issue. I would expect the issue fixed in 9.0.2 or 9.0.3 but i doubt 9.0.1 will fix it.

i had this issue in PT8. And that oh great my laptop is crap and not fit for pro tools. when 8.0.3 got released i never got the issue again. I can get up to 20 rtas or so on this core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram. Also Audio Suite isn't a bad route. After recording a session completely through, save the session, then save it again as sessiontitle.mix01, i would continue the pattern for masters. Anyways if you think of it as a recording console you may be familiar with mixing and not being able to go back very easy because of outboard gear that you constantly reset for new session. Apply audio suite first then finish up with rtas as needed. I am just saying if it speeds things up a bit.

can't wait to get my core i7 notebook, 2 or so months away.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks a lot for a fresh reply.
I hope they'll fix it in the next decade. As it is it's impossible to work. I said once before I'll get back to cubase and stop getting slaughtered by PT but I keep trying to give it a second chance even though it's telling me every day "I'm the buggiest piece of software you've ever seen, stay away from me".
Rebuilt the system, did clean installs, tried everything, nothing helps. And I'm NOT going Mac.

I keep saving whenever I remember and it's also on auto save but I sometimes lose 2-3 mins of work which can be very annoying if it's an idea I can't remember anymore.
Most annoying is when it starts bitching that it can't auto save I should check if the disk is read only (WTF?), then I know in the next 3-5 mins will crash. It's HELL.

Maybe I should just drop it again for a few years and stick to cubase. I wish they made VST versions of their instruments so people can work until they release something that actualy works on windows.
I don't think Mac users have too many problems with it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM

No problem here. Are you shure your rig meets the Avid hardware list?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persuader View Post
No problem here. Are you shure your rig meets the Avid hardware list?
Yeh. I have almost the same as you except for the interface and motherboard.
Pro Tools 9.0, Digi 003 Rack
Intel i7 920, Asus x58, 9 Gb Ram
Windows 7 x64
I do hope they'll put 64 bits on the top of the priority list. With all these giga samples, 32 bits is already stone age. But they're working on customer assist tool. As if we don't have a manual. It's a good idea but making PT9 work properly should go before anything else.
It's like the fire department waxing the trucks while the house is burning down.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 PM

I don't see this limitation here at all. You should be able to access almost 4 GB before falling apart.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msat View Post
Yeh. I have almost the same as you except for the interface and motherboard.
Pro Tools 9.0, Digi 003 Rack
Intel i7 920, Asus x58, 9 Gb Ram
Windows 7 x64
I do hope they'll put 64 bits on the top of the priority list. With all these giga samples, 32 bits is already stone age. But they're working on customer assist tool. As if we don't have a manual. It's a good idea but making PT9 work properly should go before anything else.
It's like the fire department waxing the trucks while the house is burning down.
Can we get a sandra?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 AM

"Could not save "Name of the project" because Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x0039045."
and
Pro Tools was unable to Auto Backup your session.
If your session is on a read-only drive, you must disable "AutoSave" by unchecking "Enable Session File Auto Backup" (located in Operations tab of the Pro Tools Preferences dialog) to avoid this error.
(Error was: )

I don't think spamming the thread with a sandra report would be at any help. I've seen it all over this forum and it doesn't say anything about the actual problem.
I'll see if I have time to install it and get a report.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Would be nice if DTS would tune in on this one and give some hope. Maybe these bugs will be fixed soon or a workaround?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msat View Post
Would be nice if DTS would tune in on this one and give some hope. Maybe these bugs will be fixed soon or a workaround?
It's hard to help if we don't know whether or not your system is up to spec... hence why I asked for a Sandra.

I was having a similar problem before with my Windows setup, and it was remedied by putting in a new video card.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515