Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Can't make initial launch of PT 11

With only a single hard drive, even if you get PT to run, it will not run well. Nothing else to offer until we can look over the Sandra report Dual core processor is not looking good either

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM

ACPI 64x board
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core processor
3.60 Ghz clock speed
4.00 GB installed memory
64 bit oper. Sys.
Windows 7 Home Premium
WDC WD500SABXX-01WERAI ATA drive
ATAP
Universal Audio Apollo Quad interface
UAD 2 drivers
Universal Audio Apollo playback engine
455 G. Disk drive; 372G available
Perseverance has willed PT 11 to start. Can now create templates, insert tracks, record, playback, monitor existing track while recording add'l tracks w u detectable latency. Principal issue at present remains "drive name" even tho it is named with a name less than 11 characters, and the Elastic Music issue. Seems everyone else has the same problem. My install is approaching functionality now, so all that remains is for me to actually learn Pro Tools 11.
How critical is a single drive on a dedicated computer?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
ACPI 64x board
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core processor
3.60 Ghz clock speed
4.00 GB installed memory
64 bit oper. Sys.
Windows 7 Home Premium
WDC WD500SABXX-01WERAI ATA drive
ATAP
Universal Audio Apollo Quad interface
UAD 2 drivers
Universal Audio Apollo playback engine
455 G. Disk drive; 372G available
Perseverance has willed PT 11 to start. Can now create templates, insert tracks, record, playback, monitor existing track while recording add'l tracks w u detectable latency. Principal issue at present remains "drive name" even tho it is named with a name less than 11 characters, and the Elastic Music issue. Seems everyone else has the same problem. My install is approaching functionality now, so all that remains is for me to actually learn Pro Tools 11.
How critical is a single drive on a dedicated computer?
As has been mentioned here and at various pages from Avid - recording to the system drive is not supported. That you got PT to work at all is a miracle. Just because you apparently got it to work with Sonar doesn't mean it will work with PT. Tried Googling your drive and nothing comes up. That's why you still need to post a full Sandra report. How to do so is in the 'Help Us To Help You' that is at the top of every page here. The Sandra software is free so that shouldn't be an obstacle.

Also just having 4 gig of ram is a problem. You need to stuff that computer of your with as much ram as you can.

Does your computer have a TI chipset in the Firewire controller? That's pretty much mandatory. Have you updated the firmware in the Apollo?

What type of computer are you using? Laptop, desktop? Manufacturer?

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM

A "Sandra" report doesn't seem likely. The computer is not in an internet or Wi Fi accessible location. That's why I am manually transcribing all seemingly pertinent data.
Re mememory- If I need more, i'll get more, but Pro Tools promo data describes 4 gig workable at minimum.
The computer is a desktop model, custom(read "clone") with the processor and motherboard as described.
Granted that operation may be touch and go with a single drive, but if it is a dedicated single-use (recording) system, at which point do I know that I need another system.
Re the firewire, didn't make note of the chips when I installed it, but it is a brand and model recommended by Universal Audio.
I guess right now I am up and running at least in Personal Learn Mode, and need to resolve the Elastic Music issues. I want to get a little higher in the learning curve before I schedule real sessions with it, by which time I'll install add'l memory and drive.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Recording to the system drive is likely just a waste of your time, your system is not close to being set up right with that. And a frequent sign of that is unpredictable flakiness--so don't be surprised if it has problems again, or falls over the first time you insert a few plugins (*especially* UAD plugins). Getting us the Sandra report might have illuminated other issues. Why are you wasting money on a nice Apollo interface and then connecting it to a misconfiguration system? At a minimum go buy a proper spec audio drive and stick it inside the PC on a spare SATA port. A WDC Caviar Black (rather than the lower performance Caviar Blue you have now) or an SSD like a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro are highly recommended.

You need to get you system set up to run Sandra reports, there must be some way to move stuff to it, USB stick or whatever and move the text report back or temporarily connect it to the network. You ought to just have Sandra on any PC running Pro Tools.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Just kinda shlepped into it from the back door. The computer came first (read budget), then the Universal Audio gear (apollo, 6170, 4-710, basketful of Neumanns and AKG's, etc. ). PT sales data is kinda weak re sys req's, and everything has worked pretty well on Sonar. But PT is definitely a different league. Incidentally the Firewire is a Sonnet w/ TI controller. Expanded Ram and Sata drive will probably be installed next week.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
A "Sandra" report doesn't seem likely. The computer is not in an internet or Wi Fi accessible location. That's why I am manually transcribing all seemingly pertinent data.
How did you get your authorizations on your iLok? A Sandra report is pretty essential. Without it, there will only be endless pages of guessing when it comes to trouble shooting your system unfortunately. You have some of the best and most esteemed forum members posting here trying to help troubleshoot your system. I highly recommend posting a Sandra report while you have their attention. It will really help out. Thanks.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Just kinda shlepped into it from the back door. The computer came first (read budget), then the Universal Audio gear (apollo, 6170, 4-710, basketful of Neumanns and AKG's, etc. ). PT sales data is kinda weak re sys req's, and everything has worked pretty well on Sonar. But PT is definitely a different league. Incidentally the Firewire is a Sonnet w/ TI controller. Expanded Ram and Sata drive will probably be installed next week.
Actually PT info on how to build frigging rock solid systems is all here on DUC, great threads on I7 builds, etc. a huge amount of helpful very detailed info - or if you post a Sandra report all the folks here who have all that knowledge will spot exactly whether your system is OK or not.

Be sure to install matching vendor/timing DIMMs.

Pro Tools tends to be much fussier than almost all other software on all this stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM

I have no idea how I got iLock to work. There certainly weren't any instructions.
It seemed to keep refering me to Pt, which referred me to ilock, which.....
Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
After the ordeal of trial and error of iLock and it's supposed handshaking w/ PT 11 (God only knows if it's going to work every time) I can't get this damned thing to launch...
Quote:
I have no idea how I got iLock to work. There certainly weren't any instructions.
It seemed to keep refering me to Pt, which referred me to ilock, which.....
Where did you purchase Pro Tools 11 from? Was it boxed from a store with an included iLok, or was it a digital download with the iLok purchased separately? Did you create your iLok and Avid accounts? Pro Tools won't even launch without it's authorization placed on the iLok first. Let's start the troubleshooting steps from the beginning so we can get your system going.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit