Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 08-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Default FYI- Bounce to disk (offline): mono

I have mono tracks and do a lot of bouncing to disk (offline), for importing into other sessions. My mono track's (IO) output is set to Out 1-2 (Stereo) so it comes out both speakers. I was looking for a method requiring the least amount of work to do this (extra work could include: changing the track output to bounce (and then back for other work), deleting a .L file and removing .R from the other file (to keep things organized), splitting a stereo track into mono; setting the pan from hard R (or L) to center). I also needed the amplitude of the bounced clip to be imported at the same level as the source audio.

I found the one combination that worked is:

Track output: 1-2
Bounce source Out 1-2 (Stereo)
Format: Mono (summed)

This is likely obvious to most of you, but I didn't have a good understanding of the the possibilities, and wanted a sure-fire, fast, reliable way (and I needed to learn as well). (I didn't need to test interleaved for my method, but did so for completeness of testing, and in case I need to know that info in the future.)

In case it is of any use, here is my testing.

Peak level testing: Waves WLM Plus Loudness meter > EBU > True Peak used in all testing. Source audio: -3.1 dB peak.

Full details on the outputs:

Out 1 -2 is:

√ Out 1-2 (Stereo) -> Output 1-2 (orange)
Out 1 (Mono) (orange)
Out 2 (Mono) (white)

Out 1 is:

Out 1-2 (Stereo) -> Output 1-2 (orange)
√ Out 1 (Mono) (orange)
Out 2 (Mono) (white)

Legend for bounced clip names: IO = track output, BS = bounce source, F = format

Bounce to Disk (offline):

IO 1-2, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Mono (summed)
One file created. -3.1

IO 1-2, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Multiple mono
Two files created.
Imported: into stereo. -3.1
L & R panned hard (the default); both panned center, +3dB gain: -.1)

IO 1-2, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Interleaved
One file created. -3.1 (L & R panned hard (the default); both panned center, +3dB gain: -.1)

--

IO 1, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Mono (summed)
One file created.

IO 1, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Multiple mono
Two files created; imported at same time, becomes a stereo track (panned hard L&R). -3.1
When the track is split to mono, each track is -3.1 (panned hard L or R); is -6.1 panned to center.

IO 1, BS Out 1-2 (Stereo), F Interleaved
One file created.

======

IO 1-2, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Mono (summed)
One file created. -6.1

IO 1-2, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Multiple mono
One file created. -6.1

IO 1-2, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Interleaved
Two files created. -6.1
--

IO 1, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Mono (summed)
One file created. -3.1

IO 1, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Multiple mono
One file created. -3.1

IO 1, BS Out 1 (Mono), F Interleaved
One file created. -3.1

=====

Last edited by bob2014; 08-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:33 AM

Default Re: FYI- Bounce to disk (offline): mono

Don’t really understand why you’re not using commit instead of bounce for this, but maybe I’m just being dense...?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Default Re: FYI- Bounce to disk (offline): mono

Are you asking a question?

Commit will work but its the same as an offline bounce only you can choose which plugin to commit upto

Summed Mono is what you want for a single mono file. The properties of pan law physics dictate this.

If bouncing out Out 1-2 is confusing then domt use that bath to bounce.

Create recerd busses (record tracks) in your sessiom. Can be mono audio, stereo, etc. Each of those tracks is fed by an internal Bus that you create.

When bouncing, bounce only the busses you need. Out 1-2 is not used as a bounce path. It’s only used as a monitoring path. You can bounce multiple file types (mono, stereo, 5.1, etc ) at the same time without have to worry about summed mono or multiple mono. If you’re creating a stereo file you never want summed mono. The file bounced will be the same as your Bus path width.