Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 PM

Default Guitar Rig 5 Pro and PT 11.3

Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

As it happened the very first session I tried to open in 11.3 barfed and froze. I opened the same session sans plugs without problems, so I started doing the plug-in dance to find the culprit.

Turns out that at least in my system Guitar Rig 5 Pro is the problem child and may need a Yosemite update. My Native Instruments account tells me the latest Mac version is 5.2.0 and dates from October of 2013.

If you're running Guitar Rig 5 as a critical part of your workflow (and it is a great little amp/fx emulator) you might want to wait on Yosemite/11.3 until NI has a chance to look at this.

Anybody else see this? Or is it just my karma?

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 12-21-2014, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro and PT 11.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

As it happened the very first session I tried to open in 11.3 barfed and froze. I opened the same session sans plugs without problems, so I started doing the plug-in dance to find the culprit.

Turns out that at least in my system Guitar Rig 5 Pro is the problem child and may need a Yosemite update. My Native Instruments account tells me the latest Mac version is 5.2.0 and dates from October of 2013.

If you're running Guitar Rig 5 as a critical part of your workflow (and it is a great little amp/fx emulator) you might want to wait on Yosemite/11.3 until NI has a chance to look at this.

Anybody else see this? Or is it just my karma?

Peter
There have been some issues with NI software that uses hardware controllers and Yosemite. Here's what I got in an email from NI on this:

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team

The way it sounds is you may not even have a hardware controller but just need to have the software to have the issue. I just checked and I have the same GR5 version you do and NI Service Center says I have the latest. BTW there is often a conflict between what a user account says is the latest and what SC says is the latest.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM

Finding the same thing - that Guitar rig stops sessions opening.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Super (not...)

I've been having the same issue with Amplitube in 11.2, and was using Guitar Rig to compensate.

Amplitude works fine when instantiated in session, but once closed, the session will not open again.

Hmm...

[EDIT] - just ran a quick test w/ 11.3 and old sessions seem to open fine with both Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitude instantiated. Haven't tried it yet with a newly created session in 11.3.

hope that is of some use...
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey

Last edited by leftalive; 12-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Simply remove the HAL Core Audio driver from your system and it will all work as it should.

Library > Audio > Plugins > HAL > Avid CoreAudio.plugin
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 AM

So I downloaded all the latest versions of plug ins and reinstalled - that seems to have cured it. I also removed the HAL driver and Guitar Rig and Amplitube both work now (hadn't reinstalled Guitar Rig)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 PM

I'm still having this issue. Guitar Rig 5 kills Pro Tools 12.3. I did the HAL thing. No help. I went to download from the NI Service Centre... updated GR, restarted, but Service Centre keeps telling me that i haven't updated GR.

Is there any way to just get the most recent version of GR? Without going through Service Centre?

I don't use GR often, but need it occasionally for client work. This is very frustrating.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

MC
Old 03-12-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
I'm still having this issue. Guitar Rig 5 kills Pro Tools 12.3. I did the HAL thing. No help. I went to download from the NI Service Centre... updated GR, restarted, but Service Centre keeps telling me that i haven't updated GR.

Is there any way to just get the most recent version of GR? Without going through Service Centre?

I don't use GR often, but need it occasionally for client work. This is very frustrating.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

MC
You may be able to get the latest version of GR5 from your NI account.

QAPLA!