Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Re: The People Have Spoken

Carnies,,,

Carnies the whole lot.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM

If you understand the basics, and the reasons stocks rise and fall, then you know it's time to hold or sell your avid stock. Avid has landed a large project in England (sales etc) but because of unstable economies world wide (lower sales) their profit reports have been consistently lower then predicted ever quarter. Which equates to dropping value. Avid is not the type of company that will have a stock jump over night. If you think by buying a thousand shares today and next week you will double your money, well I have some beach front property in Kansas I would like to sell you. But, it will slowly rise and in a few years be double it's worth today. I intend to buy once it hits the $4.00 range, and mark my words, it will. Then buy but be mindful it's more of a longtime investment and not a short run spike and dump.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduprie View Post
no, what is basically a bug fix with a few "features" thrown in should be free. Software companies that release crappy, bug loaded software tend to have very short lives. When they charge their customers for the stable bug fix version, and justify it by including a couple of minor features, they tend to die even faster.
Instead of continuing to support Avid, I've finally realized that they have no future, and I'm looking for a replacement. If I HAVE to keep spending money, at least I want to have some confidence that what I buy is stable and will work as promised.
So well same thing happens with logic, cubase, nuendo, and osx, windows.. heck every software you have on your computer have all done the same thing. is it right, that's depending on the point of view, could it be done differently sure. But it doesn't mean that it's going to be the end of avid. Else all the others would be dead too.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbart View Post
I'm not an early adopter. I'm running LE 8.0.3 on a Macbook Pro/OS 10.6.8. My needs aren't great: I do voiceover sessions 5 days a week, both in my studio and on the road.

PT8 works great for me. But I want to upgrade to Mac OS Lion, and Lion doesn't support PT8. So I was considering a crossgrade to PT9...but no! Avid releases PT10 and suddenly there are NO PT9 crossgrades for sale out there anymore. Leaving me with the option of staying with PT8, or shelling out some $600 for PT10.

Pardon me, but this is the height of arrogance.

Jim
steve's music store in Montreal still have them for sell. Call them they might be able to do you a deal to send it to you.

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php...oducts_id=7024

Wave-T.com
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I completely agree with the others that are here saying they want Avid to succeed! We've all put money into this product because we felt it was the best "bang for our buck" system.

The community is screaming "WE WILL BUY IT, JUST MAKE IT AFFORDABLE!" And Avid is simply not listening here. These comments from Avid I've read about support, etc., is NOT addressing the issue!

AVID, HELP US HELP YOU!

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Take a second and breath........Ok, now relax. It is apparent that nothing is going to be done about price nor a discussion about the future direction. Thats alright. It wont prevent you from making music which is your end state. If you really wanted to tick AVID off, you wouldnt post one more thing in the PT 10 forum. Its called the silent treatement. If your wife or GF complains and argue, you eventually get tired of if and ignore her. You feel nothing you do is going to please her. But if she is silent......you know this aint good. Its time to let it go. Personally, I aint buying. I love Pro tools. But Im good at this time. Leave this forum for people who actually purchased the upgrade.

Now NAMM is right around the corner. If I were the competition, I would be in full blitz mode right now, poised to capatilize on this. If I were AVID, I would be ready to counter. Thing is, AVID has an advantage. All they have to do is sit back and watch. If something takes off, you just lower your price and bundle it with something. However, I would be really cautious about that. It may back fire. How hard would it be for the competition to have a team of programmers right now adding in the things they put in 10 (clip gain, disc cache, channel strip, etc)? And as a marketing major, I know what I would be doing if I were a competitor. I would come straight at AVID with ads such as "just as man has evolved, so must his tools. Unlock (or unchain) your creativity with "X", THE professional and revolutionary platfrom for full spectrum music/post production!!! I'd have shoot-out videos all over the place and offer training for free. But then if I were AVID I would....Tell you what AVID, PM me and we can talk. Trust me, you want to

My final note is directed towards HDX and native. Next year Focusrite Rednet is coming out. They are going to eat into your pro market. How much? I cant say. Who knows what else is coming out. All I know is that people will have options. Industry standards change. Just ask Alesis hows that ADAT working for them?.......(presses enter, leans back and chair, sips coffee with a grin)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
... All they have to do is sit back and watch....
how their stock reflect their business policy !
Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
how their stock reflect their business policy !
That is the huge risk you take. When customers dont feel like you listen are care for them.......Sad thing is that if the price was dropped just $50 dollars, it would make a difference. I know its hard to admit when you are wrong. No wait, let me use a PR phrase......In our excitement of bringing PT10 to our many valued and loyal customers, the suggested price point may appear off axis wih the new feature set and improved HD product line. We at AVID desire to work with you, our friends and partners to minimize the impact of our current economic enviroment while still providing you the industry standard in music/post production...........
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
In our excitement of bringing PT10 to our many valued and loyal customers, the suggested price point may appear off axis wih the new feature set and improved HD product line. We at AVID desire to work with you, our friends and partners to minimize the impact of our current economic enviroment while still providing you the industry standard in music/post production...........
hehe ice one

Wave-T.com
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Well stock is up about 3% at the moment. Maybe now is a good time to buy? But, today is an 'up' day in general.
Anyway, Avid has placed their bet on this new pricing strategy. I am sure they are evaluating results as we speak. Theory: 'they may not like it, but, people will pay'. Certainly for some, it is worth it. But for how many is it 'borderline'. No problem for lucrative high end professional studios, but is that really the majority of ProTools clients ? I expect many more are small project/home studios of serious musicians, wanting the best equipment they can afford. And it is not just a matter of this upgrade, what about staying on the train for similar pricing in the future? In the past there was a confidence in the company to deliver, to take care of the customer. I don't think so many are feeling that confidence lately. If you triple a price, but get one third of the orders, you make no more money short term, and drive a lot of customers to explore the alternatives, probably cutting future business. Then, as competitors increase revenues, their R&D can accelerate, their presence expands, and moving away from ProTools gets more attractive over time. If Avid is in financial trouble, these latest maneuvers seem more to highlight why, rather than offer relief. But, at this point, they are probably just goint to sit tight and wait for all the fuss to 'blow over', which it will, one way or another. The question is, how will income look as a result? I guess we'll see.

A lot of us are just disapponted to lose a viable tool in our music production.

Avid has placed their bet, let's see if it is a winner.
Closed Thread