Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Sweetwater page for Pro Tools HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
It would be great for mixing but I'm spoiled by being able to monitor through all my plugins without hearing any latency. I don't ever want to have to track with a native system.
Completely agree. There are a lot of people that gloss over this aspect of a TDM system and dismiss it without realizing the big deal it is in practice.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Russ, I agree with the tone of one of your latest posts. While this develpoment is a positive move in many ways, they still haven't completely given us what it is we want to buy.

"Any colour - so long as it's black." - Henry Ford
Black is not a color!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM

which mac pro would be the best for the hd native? i'm planning to upgrade to a hd rig, and the hd native is really tempting... so.... do i need a 12 core mac pro to archive good results or with an 8 core i'll get a great performance? i use waves plug ins, sound toys, and some instruments like addictive drums, etc.
so... can i have a large amount of tracks and plug ins without any trouble or do i better save for a hd core system... i don't use tdm plug ins...

can i use the hd native with an apogee symphony (new model) o doesn't work
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
It's a rebranded MOTU 2408 system. If this kind of thing was going to replace TDM, it would have happened already.

It would be great for mixing but I'm spoiled by being able to monitor through all my plugins without hearing any latency. I don't ever want to have to track with a native system.
Yeah, my apologies for my post. After reading the "Native" user guide this clearly shows that this is not going to replace HD TDM. Just the fact that you can´t set up different low latency monitormixes on separate stereo outputs for example, makes it useless for tracking, if you don´t have an external big mixer so to speak. You can´t have external inputs while bouncing...strange move...

I think the PT Native price comparison vs Logic is a bit unfair though. Apple wants to sell hardware, and don´t bother if an app costs 100 USD or 1000 USD as long as the customer needs to buy their Apple computer to run it. Logic was once up to 2000 USD with all addons, and Nuende is still up there (?) but 3495USD for the PT Native is maybe slightly high, let´s make it 1995USD and we all should be very satisfied.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
It's a rebranded MOTU 2408 system. If this kind of thing was going to replace TDM, it would have happened already.

I track through RTAS plugs every day with no latency on an HD2, so do many in LE as well. The only time a TDM plug is needed for tracking is if that plug has a high latency in RTAS mode, 90% of the plugins I use have no latency in RTAS, most waves plugins.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 PM

I'm fairly new to the DAW world and a life-long professional musician. I mainly do live stereo classical recording, and in my case, HD Native will be quite sufficient.

Before I registered for the DUC, I would browse these forums and learn a great deal from the various posts — even though a lot of the time I'd have to Google some of the jargon to figure out what people were talking about.

Now, is there anyone who would like to give me a quick "for Dummies" explanation about Light Peak? I Googled it, but didn't really understand much of the Wiki article.
Finale 26.3.1