Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-23-2001, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!

Different way to make vocal up mixes.

Instead of going to volume mode and raising it their where it sometimes makes new anchor points and screws thing up.

I prefer to put the vocal in Trim/Auto write mode which pops the fader up to 0dB.

Then you raise or lower the fader 1dB as needed, then open the automation enable window and click the write to all button. That's it.

I prefer this way as it is more precise and if you use the procontrol shortcut even quicker.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:56 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Jules..Don't you think you should give Andy (how do you mix drums?)some credit about your tip? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 07-24-2001, 01:58 AM

Hey Produceher,

Nice work on LFO's "Every Other Time." I really like the morphing of rock and hip hop elements with pop songwriting and vocals.

If you don't mind my asking:
(1) What do you use to compress the stereo buss? The LFO mix is real tight and focused.
(2) Also, do you mix in Pro Tools? Any favorite plugs?

Nice goin'--and thanks for the info.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: audiaudio ]
Old 07-24-2001, 07:50 PM

Smash it up, smash it up!!!!
Old 07-25-2001, 05:36 AM

"Mundoz
Jules..Don't you think you should give Andy (how do you mix drums?)some credit about your tip?"

If I repeated something already suggested I apologise for being boring, but I wont apologise for trying to be helpful!

Mundoz, there is some brown stuff on your nose, it looks kinda nasty!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Jules

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Jules ]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 07-25-2001, 06:12 AM

When I am working with a track that has clicks and pops that I want to remove, I zoom in to the closest view of the offending click. Then highlight the previous full cycle of clean audio on that track and then duplicate it (command + d). The duplicate cycle replaces the click or pop without you having to redraw the waveform. MOST of the time this works - depends on the length of your offending audio. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2001, 09:22 AM

Drum tracking with hybrid kit... Real snare, cymbals, hat, Drum kat for (3) toms and kick triggering samples in S2000 sampler. Record all the toms and kick as MIDI data into one track. Duplicate that track four times, rename new tracks (kick, tom1, tom2, tom3). Delete all MIDI data in each track except the drum you want. Mixing - after auditioning drum sounds, trigger samples from these tracks again and print seperate audio tracks. Excellent drum sounds while minimizing the variables of miking a full kit. No phase-related problems with tom "mics".
Old 07-25-2001, 09:44 AM

Insted of running drum tracks into a reverb, I send only the room mics into a verb. It sounds much more natural that way.

duffy
Old 07-25-2001, 10:06 AM

Speeding a pushy drummer: I work with a very creative (but often click oblivious) drummer. He has a tendency to end his fills early. To combat this I put PT in to grid mode, separate the next measure, copy, and paste to an unused section of the project (which I marker as "loops"). Then I switch to Slip mode and using the trim tool, I expand to get the entire 1 downbeat (usually based on the kick). I do the same with the end of the phrase (expand to the beginning of the next measure's kick). Copy the expanded region, switch back to grid mode, and paste. I then use Wave Mechanics Speed's calculator mode (samples), write down how many samples the phrase is, write down how may samples the grid is, and process the tracks so they line up to th grid. Finally I paste the processed (and on time) phrase back into the original track, trim the end of the fill, separate a 32nd note, and use speed (same method a above) again to have the fill measure (normally cymbal decay) meet the newly fixed and on time down beat.

I also use this method with Speed to create drum loops or patterns that I can pop into certain places of a song where the measures aren't being played tightly. Works well on Bass to.

Regards,

Chris Richmond : [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2001, 01:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
1. Whenever I have a sound that I know where I want it to end, but I'm not sure where It needs to start (For EX. Reverse crash, Reverse Reverb, Reverse Guitars.)

I place the region's start where I want it to end. Then you hit the "K" key. It shoots it back. (You must be in the mode that connects the locater with the selector) TDM system only.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Produceher, I'm not sure if you are aware, but you can spot the END of a region to the cursor position by Command-Control clicking the region.

This is a great thread. Let's keep it going.

mike