Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 AM

Default Will the PT 9.0.1 updater remove my PT8 license?

On this page:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1450&Hilite=

is says:
'The Pro Tools 9.0.1 updater will remove any version of Pro Tools 8 or earlier, '

As it is now, I have both PT 9 and PT 8 on my iLok, and I use the PT 8 license to be able to load older sessions that don't work in PT9 (some because of Liquid Mix settings problems), and also, to load PT8 in another studio where I also work from, where the Mac can't be updated to PT9 at the moment.

So, - I would like to install the update to PT 9.0.1, mostly to see if the mute bug is gone (mute a track, - unable to unmute, sound is playing from just the one channel - happens just some times), but I would like to keep the PT 8 license.

Any experience with the updater?
Did it remove the PT 8 license?

Njal
Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Will the PT 9.0.1 updater remove my PT8 license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njal Frode Lie View Post
On this page:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1450&Hilite=

is says:
'The Pro Tools 9.0.1 updater will remove any version of Pro Tools 8 or earlier, '

As it is now, I have both PT 9 and PT 8 on my iLok, and I use the PT 8 license to be able to load older sessions that don't work in PT9 (some because of Liquid Mix settings problems), and also, to load PT8 in another studio where I also work from, where the Mac can't be updated to PT9 at the moment.

So, - I would like to install the update to PT 9.0.1, mostly to see if the mute bug is gone (mute a track, - unable to unmute, sound is playing from just the one channel - happens just some times), but I would like to keep the PT 8 license.

Any experience with the updater?
Did it remove the PT 8 license?

Njal
Hi,

That will not remove or effect your PT8 ilok license! this is simply a software update for PT9 and no ilok activity is needed.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

That will not remove or effect your PT8 ilok license! this is simply a software update for PT9 and no ilok activity is needed.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for chiming in.

As to the update not affecting any earlier versions of Pro Tools iLok licenses, I would say, - Yeah, one would think that...

I also thought that is what would happen, I was probably put some off by the whole phrasing there, talking about iLok licenses in the same paragraph as talking about removals...

'DO NOT install any version of Pro Tools 9 if you do not have an iLok with the Pro Tools 9, Pro Tools HD 9, or Pro Tools HD 8.5 (HD Native) license. The Pro Tools 9.0.1 updater will remove any version of Pro Tools 8 or earlier, and Pro Tools 9 will not run without an authorized iLok.'

- and the fact that the PT 9 installer removed my PT 8 license from the iLok, so probably I'm a bit extra cautious in these matters now, haha!

But I guess they're talking about removing the PT 8 software from the hard disk and not any PT 8 license from the iLok...

So, you used the 9.0.1 updater and it didn't touch the PT 8 license on your iLok?

N
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM

What Chris posted above is true.
Updating to 9.0.1 wont affect your 9 Licence,also the PT 9 installer did not remove your 8 Licence, it is about software add/remove not licence
And as you noted in your ilok account there is a Bundle Asset that contains 9HD 9 and 8 Licences.
9.0.1 work on 9 Licence like the 8.0.1. 8.0.3 8.0.4 8.1etc worked on an 8 Licence.
On the contrary PT7HD was a unique licence and also 7.2 7.3 and 7.4(if i can recall correctly)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 AM

Anyone @ DUC upgrade PTHD8 to PTHD9 and using authorized PTHD8/PTHD9 lisences in one ilok without a problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Have not noticed anything so far...(Crossgraded to 9HD)
Working on 8HD on one system,moving the ilok to a second one with 9HD.

From AVID Faq
The Pro Tools HD 9 upgrade license requires surrender of your previous Pro Tools HD iLok license. The new license replaces the previous license with a single bundled license that contains authorizations for Pro Tools HD 9 and Pro Tools HD 8 (and Pro Tools 9 with Complete Production Toolkit 2 features when using your license on a system without Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Native hardware).
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM

what im worried (maybe) is the plugin licenses that on the same ilok with
my PTHD8. Is it compatible with PTHD9?

Thanks.

PTHD2 v.8.0.3cs2
Mac Pro 8 Core (2009 Nehalem)
OSX 10.6.2
16GB ram