Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-07-2001, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Nanosyncs

I have one clocking two adat bridges plus everything else in my studio with no problems.
I won't offer any suggestions for where you might be having problems with the unit because it's so obviouse from the front panel what you have it doing.
However, have you got high quality proper 75ohm cables? Especially if it's a long run over a couple of meters.
Also try feeding each digi unit it's own individual clock, and also feeding say the 888 from the nanosync and slaving the 1622 from the 888.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:13 AM

Default Nanosyncs

Has anyone had any sync issues with their Nanosyncs?
I just got one and am having lock issues with my 888/24's and 1622 IO's.
I am outputting Super clock individually to the IO word clock slave ins as the manual suggests.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-10-2001, 07:06 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jkrebs:
I am outputting Super clock individually to the IO word clock slave ins as the manual suggests.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Contrary to the Nanosyncs manual, we always suggest using a single Slave Clock source output and daisy chaining the signal to all the interfaces:
Nanosyncs Slave Out--->First interface Slave In, First interface Slave Out---->Second interface Slave In, etc.

-No Slave Clock cable should exceed 3 meters between interfaces.

-Whenever possible, use the Slave Clock cables included with the interface(s).

-If making your own cables, make sure you are using 75 Ohm coax.

Brent
Old 12-10-2001, 08:47 AM

Dear Brent,

may I be so bold as to ask why you and Rosendahl disagree on this matter?

xoxo PV2
Old 12-10-2001, 10:56 AM

I also believe Aardsync guys also suggest a discrete word clock to all the interfaces, without daisy chaining. They say that the maore you daisy chain the 888's the more jitter you might accumulate.

So to echo pasta viking, why do you say to daisy chain Brent? Before I read this post any external word clock users/manufacturers have said to feed everything discretely..

hmmm...
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mt.Everest:
So to echo pasta viking, why do you say to daisy chain Brent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although it may work just fine to have each interface fed a discrete Slave Clock signal, here are my reasons for the suggestion:

-I have seen situations where an external sync device was not outputting a reliable Slave Clock signal at all of its ouptuts and thus, caused problems with the entire system. Connecting all interfaces to a single Slave Clock source ensures the same signal is being received by all interfaces in the system.

-When not using an external sync device, all interfaces are connected in a daisy chain.

-No Digi interface or sync peripheral manufactured by Digi contains multiple Slave Clock outputs.

-When slaving to a single Slave Clock output, it helps eliminate possibilities when troubleshooting.

Brent
Old 12-11-2001, 02:06 PM

Brent,
Thank you for the replies.
I am under the understanding that for each unit that word clock passes through(from one original word clock output) there is a certain amount of degredation to the word clock "signal" if you daisy chain units by the time it reaches the last I/O in the chain, that is why Rhosendahl suggests feeding each I/O a separate word clock input.
Is the whole issue of word clock degredation when you daisy chain I/O's not an issue?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-11-2001, 02:42 PM

Hmm...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> -I have seen situations where an external sync device was not outputting a reliable Slave Clock signal at all of its ouptuts and thus, caused problems with the entire system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well thanks Brent for the opinion. Yet I would think that using a reliable clocking device such as nanos or the aardsync, one can be sure that when it says it its outputting 256x, it is. And that they are reliable--I mean that is the whole concept they are selling.

Do you remember what external clock it was?

But again, Ive never heard of a problem clocking discretely, as well as, never heard from any clock manufacturer that that was not the best way to do it..

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-11-2001, 10:59 PM

All of DIGI's stated recommendations stem from the idea of keeping setup and troubleshooting simple for the user.

Those who need stable clocks in large, complex setups need to have "home runs," in other words, discrete cable runs to each device. Both "tee-ing off" and daisy chaining are a little evil.

A home run doesn't negate DIGI's recommendations, it only goes past the novice/intermediate level they are assuming.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:41 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jkrebs:
Is the whole issue of word clock degredation when you daisy chain I/O's not an issue?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-As long as the cable runs between interfaces are kept at a minimum and high quality cable is used (such as using the slave clock cables included with our interfaces), then signal degredation is not a concern when daisy chaining interfaces to a single Slave Clock source.

Brent