Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:01 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Subscription plans make more sense the larger the organization purchasing. I've always hated getting approvals for software expenditures and having reprove the value of the software each and every year. This will be an approve-once scenario, and keep on the payment plan yearly. On an individual basis, however, I have no need nor desire to embark upon a payment plan. I like to buy for my needs and wait until I see if a new purchase deserves my money. I think the PT vanilla plans will have fewer takers than the PT HD plans, such that the vanilla line will eventually disappear. Logic and Reaper have that market. It's just a question of how far up that market extends.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi guys,

To ease everyone through this transition towards getting upgrades through upgrade/support plans, Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD users on versions 9, 10 and 11 have until the end of 2015 (14 months from now) to get on a plan.

If you want to take advantage of the offer now, we're including an extra 3 months of upgrade/support coverage. However, you have the option to wait and see what we deliver from now through 2015 to make your decision.

Thanks,
Tony
I own both HD11 and the education versions of PT11 vanilla, which was supposed to come with 4 years of upgrades for 99 each, how does this affect my education bundle?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I own both HD11 and the education versions of PT11 vanilla, which was supposed to come with 4 years of upgrades for 99 each, how does this affect my education bundle?
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...4-Offer-FAQ#22
Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 AM

I have an academic license question as well. I bought PT11 academic when I qualified for it, but I am no longer enrolled in any classes. So, can I upgrade my license to one of the new plans, and for how much?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Tony, will those of us who currently have PT11/11HD get whatever new features are included in the new support plan subscription? Or will we have to buy in at some undefined point in time in order to take advantage of those new features?
Hi JC. Owners of PT/PTHD 11 do not automatically get upcoming feature upgrades. However, as upgrades are released thought 2015, you can purchase the $199/$599 upgrade/support plan to upgrade to that release, plus you'll get 12 months of future upgrades/support.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi JC. Owners of PT/PTHD 11 do not automatically get upcoming feature upgrades. However, as upgrades are released thought 2015, you can purchase the $199/$599 upgrade/support plan to upgrade to that release, plus you'll get 12 months of future upgrades/support.
If we let our hd assets lapse how much will it cost us to get a new perpetual license?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
I have an academic license question as well. I bought PT11 academic when I qualified for it, but I am no longer enrolled in any classes. So, can I upgrade my license to one of the new plans, and for how much?
If you are still within the 4-year education period you are still eligible for upgrades at the original terms. If you are eligible for a $99 upgrade, you will receive a 12 month upgrade/support plan as part of that purchase.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM

I know this question was asked a bazillion times before, so please excuse the repetition as I know that some are very sensitive to that. However, I reviewed the new license FAQ and still do not see any information about what version of Pro Tools a perpetual license will unlock once a support plan lapses.

Is the "perpetual license" based on the last version of Pro Tools you were licensed before joining the support plan or does the "perpetual license" include all upgrades and updates up to the lapsing of a support plan for that particular license?

This is one of those "buyer beware" questions for me so it would be helpful if this were cleared up soon. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
If we let our hd assets lapse how much will it cost us to get a new perpetual license?
There are no announcements related to price changes to perpetual Pro Tools | Software licenses or to the availability of perpetual Pro Tools | HD Software licenses sold separate from HD hardware.

As explained in the FAQ, HD software customers (as well as PT software customers) have a window through the end of 2015 to get on an upgrade/support plan. Long before that window closes we will release flexible licensing options for HD users that decide to not get on a plan. More information to come on this topic.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
The link above your post says you have to prove eligibility each year you upgrade.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Closed Thread