Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Help-adding first PCI Accel card to pre-existing PCI HD3 system

Hello,

I just purchased a PCI Accel card to add to my PCI HD3 system installed in a 7-slot Magma 64 expansion chassis. I'm curious as to whether I need to do any prep work before installing the Accel card(after HD Core), trash Digi Prefs, etc. If I open a pre-existing mix, will I have any issues now that an Accel card is present? Will the hierarchy of the plug-ins and voices start off with the Accel card automatically and then continue on to the other two HD Process cards? Will this freeze or crash my system? Any plug-ins need to be updated due to the addition of Accel?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Help-adding first PCI Accel card to pre-existing PCI HD3 system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a PCI Accel card to add to my PCI HD3 system installed in a 7-slot Magma 64 expansion chassis. I'm curious as to whether I need to do any prep work before installing the Accel card(after HD Core), trash Digi Prefs, etc. If I open a pre-existing mix, will I have any issues now that an Accel card is present? Will the hierarchy of the plug-ins and voices start off with the Accel card automatically and then continue on to the other two HD Process cards? Will this freeze or crash my system? Any plug-ins need to be updated due to the addition of Accel?

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

No need to do anything! (other than be extra careful when handling the cards as it is easy to brake a component on the edge of the cards!!)

Most plugins will choose the appropriate chip to use! I.E a non accel plugin will choose a non accel chip so as to leave the accel chips free for accel only. it gets quite complicated as some plugins will share chips and some will hog an entire chip some will require ram and so on. so the cards will fill up in a quite random way, but mostly optimized for best chip usage.

No plugins need to be updated specifically for accel. BUT always keep your plugins folder clean and up to date.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks Chris! I was hoping it would be as simple as just installing the card.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Did you mean you have the original HD3 cards NON accel. Then a PCI to PCI expansion chassis . Where you want to use a HD accel with regular NON accel cards.

Is that even possible , because thats a totally different question I think
Do original HD cards work with HD accel cards . I didnt think they did. But I am the last person to ask about tech stuff like this.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Yeah, they should work together fine. It's just the card order that needs to be maintained. Core-Accel Process-Non-Accel Process. That's all