Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-29-1999, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Mics

I won't sue you Eric. Thanks for info. Lots of avenues to explore.
.25 well spent!

Old 11-03-1999, 04:04 PM

I've been using the Microtech Geffel UM92 for a while now, and I find it a very nice mic (and it looks great), but I think that the M147 has just a bit more character in it, great for vocals, but then, also, great for drums (and for the kick! It's very close to the U47FET on drums)

As far as mic-pre's goes, check out the earthworks stereo micpre. I doubt it's possible to get a better micpre at that price. I even decided to go with the full package with 2 matched cardiods and one stereo micpre. (those cardiods are almost up to par with B&K's) I think it works out about $3000 something, which is pretty unbeatable for a package like that.

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]
Old 11-04-1999, 04:44 PM

What do you all americans have to say about Groove tubes AM62 ?
Old 11-06-1999, 03:06 AM

Hey music!

The AKG Solidtube is a really good mic considering the price. It works very well for male vocals, especially screaming one's. It give's a very fat warm and a lot of presence even if you the singer is screaming.

------------------
Robert
Old 11-07-1999, 12:31 AM

Thanks, Robert. Have you had any experience with other tube mics such as Rode's Tuber NTV? etc.

Smack I've read good things on AM 62 but have not heard. Sorry.

Keith
Old 11-09-1999, 05:38 PM

I don't know a darn thing, so don't listen to me.

Hmm, $2k for a mic, $1k for a mic pre.

I'd be tempted to spend less on the microphone and more on the pre. There are a lot of great sounding mics for under $1K, and if you can arrange to listen to them, I am certain you can find one that you love. This will then leave you enough money to get a really great mic pre, which you will use forever, even after you've upgraded your main vocal mic.

See if you like the AT 4050, and the GT MD-1, they have both gotten a lot of work as vocal mics in my studio.
Old 11-09-1999, 11:23 PM

You're getting some good advice on gear choices, especially the Brent Averill stuff.
(for all around performance I like the API 312's ) As for vocal mics I'll throw another option at you, the Soundeluxe U95.
My main advice however is to try to do direct comparison shootouts between the mics and/ or mic pres you're considering. Because if you're comparing really great gear, the only way to really tell what's best is to put one up against the other. That can be difficult but if you can get the contenders together in your studio and try them out on the app (male vox) that you want them for then you'll be able to choose with more confidence.
Old 11-10-1999, 05:39 AM

BTW in gear shootouts, sometimes it's real hard to quantify why you prefer one over the other, trust your instincts! Even if you decide you like the look of one over the other, go for it!
The gear kisser is back!
Jules

P.S. the 4 x API rack has a blue light, how cool is that? I have one but regret no getting the mixer option for it....Smoooooooooooch!

[This message has been edited by Julian Standen (edited 11-10-99).]