Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Crashing when opening up older sessions

Hi.
I've got a bunch of old sessions that I absolutely need to get into and everytime I try to open them up, PT "unexpectedly quits". Usually when the progress bar is saying something about Altiverb. Am I hosed?
-Jamey
IMDB
Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Crashing when opening up older sessions

I've run into this lots unfortunately.

the only work around i have found, it to make a folder called TEMP on the desktop.

in finder, navigate to System HD/Library/application support/Digidesign/plug-ins

and drag all of your plugins out of that folder, into the temp folder you've created on your desktop.

Load Pro-Tools
Load your session
Remove the italicised plugin causing the crash
Save session as sessionNameFixed
Quit Pro-tools
dump the plugins back where they belong (HD/Library/application support/Digidesign/plug-ins)
open your "Fixed session" insert a new instance of the plugin, and reset parameters the way you had em.

This happens for me with older sessions with Auto Tune, and ChannelStrip

Importing Session data, would crash PT, simply Re-saving the session after removing all the plugins, restoring the plugins, opening the session, and activating the plugins, would crash pro-tools.

The above meathod is really the only work around I have found for this in PTLE 6.4 and PT TDM 6.7

If you find another way, let us know about it.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-25-2005, 04:18 PM

either that or try to create a new session then import the tracks.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Thanks much for the detailed reply. I know that the culprit plugin was Altiverb, so it was pretty easy to pull that out and open the file. I guess the new version of altiverb is incompatible with the old version's settings. This particular session required a remix due to the fact that I couldn't remember the reverb settings but I think this mix is better so it's all good. Would have preferred not to spend the afternoon remixing tho

Cheers,
Jamey
IMDB