Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2016, 09:01 PM

Default Allocating Video tracks to a different disk

Hi everyone -

Is there any way to allocate my video track to a different location (such as another hard drive) without deleting the video track and re-importing it?

Often times I work from home on my transport drive (G-drive mini with power supply), and thus I run my video off the same drive as well. When I go to the studio I still want to run the audio of the session from the same drive, but instead allocate the video to play from a separate drive, such as the internal SSDs.

Couldn't figure this out via the Disk Allocation window, is there another way?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Allocating Video tracks to a different disk

Close session, copy them to a different drive, trash the ones in the current location, re-open session. It'll take a minute to re-find them but then you're al set.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:40 AM

This might work :
On the G-Drive, prior to opening the session in the studio, move the video file to a different folder (on the G-Drive : maybe from "Video Files A" to a new folder named "Video Files B"),
open the session, PT will ask for a relink, relink manually to the Video Files folder of the internal SSD.
At home : relink again from Video File folder B. Back in studio, prior to opening the session there : move the video file from B to A. And so on.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 03-25-2016, 06:31 AM

Thanks joachim. I think this makes the most sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
This might work :
On the G-Drive, prior to opening the session in the studio, move the video file to a different folder (on the G-Drive : maybe from "Video Files A" to a new folder named "Video Files B"),
open the session, PT will ask for a relink, relink manually to the Video Files folder of the internal SSD.
At home : relink again from Video File folder B. Back in studio, prior to opening the session there : move the video file from B to A. And so on.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:13 AM

Was hoping to do this too directly from importing an AAF/OMF. Send the video to a seperate drive for ease of data management.

Can't seem to do automatically and have to dig the video out by hand, so to speak.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Hi, there is an easier way of doing this.
Under the PT "Windows" menu, select New Workspace->default. Then open the folder with the PT session icon and select the subfolder "Video Files"
Then, select your video file, right-click and select "Relink". then select the location where the video file you want to use is located (G-Drive at home, SSD at work) and press find links and then commit links.

Sounds a bit convoluted, but it actually just takes about 10-15 seconds to do.

Best,
Espen