Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Master Fader Limiter/Compressor SSL Compressor

My questions are regarding the limiter or compressor that is on my master fader. I was told by more experienced mixers that I should always be using a compressor or limiter on my master fader for coherency and loudness. My best plugin for this is the SSL buss compressor.

I WAS using the SSL buss compressor set to the preset for mastering which was a 4:1 ratio with a moderate attack setting and about -5db gain reduction over the threshold. Most loud parts of the mix would be getting -4 gain reduction at most.

Should I be only using a 2:1 with moderate attack?

I feel like I cant hear any of my reverb or delays after i bounce and cant figure out if its do to my master fader settings.

Any words?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Master Fader Limiter/Compressor SSL Compressor

be skeptical whenever you hear "should always"

right?

many mixers mix into a bus compressor, i happen to use the SSL comp most of the time. but you don't have to, you should do it if you like the way it sounds, that's the only reason! for my ears it adds some excitement to the loud parts. i like to hear just a little bit of pumping (barely audible, most people off the street can't hear it at those levels) to make your brain perceive it as loud and exciting.
my theory here is because your ears and brain adapt to loud sounds, you can make things sound more exciting by a slightly ducking compressor tricking your brain into thinking it's louder than it is. (compared to the rest of the program material)

what i mix into is just the default settings when you turn SSL comp on, release time adjusted to the tempo of the big loud hits so it returns to zero (or almost to zero) before the next one, and threshold set so it's just grabbing 2-4 db of the loudest kicks/snares in the most exciting part of the song.

for mastering this would be a different, but that's a whole different can of worms. honestly i'd still probably start with these settings and stack other limiters on top for a few more db of loudness.
but i wouldn't recommend mixing "into" a mastering chain. slap a limiter on the end for bouncing test mixes to be compared to other music, sure, but besides that leave the mastering process separate.

www.jntracks.com
Old 07-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Couldn't agree more. Remember that mastering cannot UNDO too much compression, but can always add some more. I almost never put anything on the master fader(except for an effect). I prefer to leave that for mastering, whether I do it in house, or send it out(with suggestions and ideas).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Well I do like the way that the SSL compressor sounds as it does have an attitude in my opinion.

However, My greater concern is trying to figure out why i cant hear my verbs and delays clearly? I have experienced turing off the compressor and listening but then it seems like all the levels that I have "mixed into" the compressor now will need to be reset?

Will over squashing the mix wreak havoc on the verbs?

Thanks ,

Mesa3077Boogie
Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Hi, when you compress with a high ratio and a high release value, then of course the verbs and delays are weakened. Either you shorten the release (that would produce unwanted pumping maybe) or the ratio (a wider dynamic range has a weaker average level) or you´ll increase the verbs/delays in the mix. Third, you only compress the rhythm tracks via busscompression and leave the verb/delay tracks as they are in the mix and be careful with the summcompression in the master fader.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM

There is no answer for this.

Bus Compression is a subjective thing.

I have seen great engineers get great results not using it on an Actual SSL 4000 G.

I prefer the 2-1 very subtle but that's just me.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco1967 View Post
Hi, when you compress with a high ratio and a high release value, then of course the verbs and delays are weakened. Either you shorten the release (that would produce unwanted pumping maybe) or the ratio (a wider dynamic range has a weaker average level) or you´ll increase the verbs/delays in the mix. Third, you only compress the rhythm tracks via busscompression and leave the verb/delay tracks as they are in the mix and be careful with the summcompression in the master fader.
Franco, this is good info, thanks a lot!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 AM

if you're wanting to hear more of the reverb tails but are happy with the initial level of the reverb, try compressing the reverb aux.

www.jntracks.com
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa3077boogie View Post
Well I do like the way that the SSL compressor sounds as it does have an attitude in my opinion.

However, My greater concern is trying to figure out why i cant hear my verbs and delays clearly? I have experienced turing off the compressor and listening but then it seems like all the levels that I have "mixed into" the compressor now will need to be reset?

Will over squashing the mix wreak havoc on the verbs?

Thanks ,

Mesa3077Boogie
Compression brings the back of the sound forward. Reverbs will disappear at a different rate of time, as will room sounds. The net result is a loss of depth due to the now reduced rate of change in the dynamics.
But your room sounds and reverbs become more obvious because they are closer in level to the louder direct stuff.
I normally use a multiband followed by a peak limiter when doing stuff that isn't going to be mastered. (although I seem to be using the multiband less and less of late)