Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Assign Module Hardware not working

Oh, I see what you're saying, you got a page with an update option "before" the config page. No, I don't get that.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see what you're saying, you got a page with an update option "before" the config page. No, I don't get that.
That makes sense and confirms what I already thought, that the surface needs to be configured before it can update modules. When I manually updated, I believe I had already been able to configure the surface, but that the modules did not fuction until after an update.

My guess is that something is out of whack with the S6 network settings. Maybe an interface problem on the MTM?

Just for fun I configured my surface with ONLY the master module. I cleared the surface, dragged only the MTM icon onto the frame and hit NEXT. The entire surface lit up but all modules were ignored except a press on the MTM. Now I have a useless mixing configuration but at least I was able to configure a surface without having to touch faders. Can you do this?

It is interesting that all of the other modules now have a flashing led in the upper right corner, which seems to indicate they are "unclaimed".
Old 09-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do that test! Yes, actually I did try that too, rebooted and then configured a MTM only and hit a button on the MTM but the result was the same.

Guess I'll be on the phone with Avid next week then

Thanks again
Old 09-24-2016, 06:08 PM

If you're not able to do what I ask above, I would try it again but with a single "reverse" RJ45 cable from MTM port 2 to the "other" master module port (not port 1 but the module's network port where the second power connector is plugged). That bypasses the switch and in fact replaces all the cables currently involved. If you still cannot configure a MTM-only surface, then I'd have to conclude there is a flaw in the MTM hardware or its setup.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Ah, that's a great idea. I'll make up a reverse RJ45 short cable and connect the two and then see if I can configure an MTM only. Thanks for that.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 PM

Hi Ampnerd. I had a similar issue with an S6 M10 and it all boiled down to having the current version of S6 MTM software AND the correct version of WS Control. In my case, the desk wouldn't connect to the workstation and I tried just about everything, including reinstalling from scratch on the MTM. Turned out to be WS Control was mismatched. A day lost, but I learned from it.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Thanks Buccanears! I'll check mine again but I'm pretty sure I installed S6MasterModuleInstall2_2.exe on the MTM and S6MacWorkstationInstall2_2_91802.dmg on the Mac

And as Postman was saying, you should be able to do the configuration without even connecting to the DAW computer no?

One question, when you reinstalled from scratch did you lose your activation? And if so was it easy to reactivate it? I have the activation file I downloaded from my Avid account on a USB stick and had copied it to the root of the MTM windows folder, not a big deal to reactivate I guess.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM

Pretty sure that as long as you have the bin file, you should be ok. I was swapping out an MTM for a new one (buttons fell off...), so Avid had to generate a new file as the system ID was different.

Oh, make sure it's S6MasterModuleInstall2_2_91803
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Avid

I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your S6 up and running....hopefully I can help.

Stick with v2.2 on both the Master Module and WS (different versions aren't compatible)
Disconnect the S6 from your WS to start with.
Make sure you are connected to port 2 of the Master Module and Deck ID is 1
With the S6 on go to a Fader Module and press and hold the top left Select and swap keys until you see Avid logos. press the Menu key under system and then network and see what the IP address is. If its not in the range 192.168.2.x this is your problem. The module is not seeing the Master Module.
If it has an IP address then I think it has to do with claiming but I'm around for the rest of the day and tomorrow to help.......
Old 09-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Eddie, thanks so much for the message! I just tried doing exactly what you said. The IP address for the first fader module is: 192.168.2.11. So that should be in the correct range right?

Don't suppose you'd be up for a phone call would you? I'd happily pay you for your time

Thanks

Sean