Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-04-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Live Recording With Pro Tools

Lol- in that case, replace "beer" with "Act of God"... I'd still be afraid to bring my C|24 out of the studio. The act of moving it... scares me!

To your question - IIUC: a single 192 maxes out at 16... you'll need two interfaces. I'm still in mixland tho, so double check that "fact"- can anyone confirm?
Control|24
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM

Yep, all HD interfaces max at 16 a piece. So, for 24 tracks at more than 48k sampling two HD interfaces is a must. That's the way it is.

However, if max 48k sampling is good enough, you can add 8 inputs with a legacy interface which is way cheaper. You can probably get two 888/24 for a half the price of one HD/96 interface! Or, if you don't like the converters of the old boxes, you can still save lots of money if you find an old 24bit ADAT bridge, which provides 16 channels of max 48k audio; converers should naturally be purchased separately, but it's another story.

Cheapest way to get 24 input channels of 96k audio is to buy one regular 96 interface (8 input converters) and one "i" model (16 input converters).
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 AM

I regularly record 32 inputs using a 192 w/AD card + an old 1622 interface. All to one Firewire drive, never had a problem. I always use a new, freshly erased drive though.

I've run FOH from PT a few times, and although it sounds OK it's not very fun. The band glaring at you as you mouse over to their monitor mix AUX to stop the feedback...

I've had trouble with RTAS plugs in this situation, so I would stick with TDM. Delay compensation should be off.

Also, you can't hit stop in PT until the show is over, because once you've recorded for an hour or so it takes PT a few seconds to digest all of the data and you may have all channels muted during those few seconds after hitting stop.

If you test it thoroughly before you go you'll be fine. Place all channels in record for a few hours to make sure it's going to work. Mouse around during the testing to make sure it doesn't get "sticky".

Good luck! JeffD.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 PM

The C24 live is a scary proposition. If you're using it for the preamps, and budget is a concern, I would check out a presonus digimiax, or something similar. 2 of those and an ADAT bridge, and you're only a headphone/CR output away from being set. Maybe the MOTU Traveler. That has a handy little o/p on it. Think about 3 rackspaces extra vs. "Hey, watch out for that door!" (CLUNK) .... Sure, you give up faders but all you should need to do is "option+click record enable" then F12. Ok, maybe fiddle with the preamps a little.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 PM

lets not forget to change the drive allocation space to at least 60 minutes or more.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Again thanks for the inputs.

I have to say that I would rather someone else did the recordings and then brought them to me to mix. But I said that I would weigh up the options by getting some advice and you have given me that.

I like the challenge but I'm concerned if something goes wrong and the sound stops, very un-professional.

In the end think the client will need to weight up the budget, as they want 1 rehersal night plus 2 live concert nights to ensure they get the "best" version of any song. So for me that is 3 day plus the mix down days, nice business but costly for them.

Should have a decision in a couple of days.

regards
Scotsman
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM

firstly good luck. you can do it.

1: make a list
2: copy the list
3: if at all possible have somebody with you..at sound check you will have the usual turn up/down questions and your head will have to be thinking of the recording setup as you go.
4: is it possible to setup the night before? if not as early as possible
5: dont forget closed headphones
6: make sure you eat before the show starts and have gone to the toilet..
7: make stereo back up (dat/harddisc recorder)
8: make sure you label and name everything, if possible before you go to save time and head
9: have a4 notepad to take any notes as you go
10: try to check out the church before the night

have a good one,
Eoin