Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Default command 8? or mackie control universal?

I've been reading through forums trying to figure out which control surface to get. i've basically decided on one of the two, and i keep swapping between the 2 aswell. not sure which one to get. are their some features that anyones knows of that gives one board an advantage over the other? like the mackie control has the master fader, and has the option to be expandable. but doesn't have the monitoring system in it
Old 05-03-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: command 8? or mackie control universal?

Quote:
are their some features that anyones knows of that gives one board an advantage over the other? like the mackie control has the master fader
The master fader is not available in HUI mode. The only advantages, in my opinion, that the Mackie has are expandability and a jog/shuttle wheel. I place a higher value on the jog/shuttle wheel, but I would still buy a Command|8.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
are their some features that anyones knows of that gives one board an advantage over the other? like the mackie control has the master fader
The master fader is not available in HUI mode. The only advantages, in my opinion, that the Mackie has are expandability and a jog/shuttle wheel. I place a higher value on the jog/shuttle wheel, but I would still buy a Command|8.
The mackie does have the advantage of being able to be used with other apps besides PT.. There are quite a few differences between mackie in HUI mode and the C8- no "Flip" button for instance on HUI. There is a doc that explains all functions of the HUI under the compato section of this site..

Also, you should know that with the mackie fader expansion in Pro Tools, plug ins can only be addressed with the 8 knobs on the main unit. (I think the faders will work, not sure.)
Old 07-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I've been reading through forums trying to figure out which control surface to get. i've basically decided on one of the two, and i keep swapping between the 2 aswell. not sure which one to get. are their some features that anyones knows of that gives one board an advantage over the other? like the mackie control has the master fader, and has the option to be expandable. but doesn't have the monitoring system in it
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old... but in case you're still deciding: go for the MCU. I know this is a Digi site & all, but I have both and I'm sorry but the Mackie has it over the C8 in many ways. A few that I have encountered:

Yes, jog wheel - what goes with the C8 & no jog wheel.

Very clear TC read-out. Nice blue LCD track info as well as blaring LED TC (or beats).

Penny & Giles faders. They feel nice & they don't have those silly concave tips on them.

V-pots are great & work well for any app, not just PT's.

Expandability - I don't know for PT's (I still use the C8 for Tools), but for Digital Performer you can add as many XT expansion faders as you like. Add another 40!

That all said, I do have both & I intend on keeping the little C8 for use on PT's. The USB connection does feel a bit closer than MIDI protocol (I guess for PT's this is HUI mode). But really, do you intend on working with one audio application? Personally I have to know at least 4 for my every day working life and pick up new ones as I need to. At the moment it's: Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Sound Forge, Pyramix, Peak Pro... the good ole' Mackie will work with them all... not just one.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:

That all said, I do have both & I intend on keeping the little C8 for use on PT's. The USB connection does feel a bit closer than MIDI protocol (I guess for PT's this is HUI mode). But really, do you intend on working with one audio application? Personally I have to know at least 4 for my every day working life and pick up new ones as I need to. At the moment it's: Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Sound Forge, Pyramix, Peak Pro... the good ole' Mackie will work with them all... not just one.
What functions will the MCU deal with with Peak? I probably use Peak more than any other app and I didn't realize I could use the MCU with it!

TIA
Edwin
Old 08-18-2006, 02:55 AM

If you go PT Digidesign work hard making the C8 as your fully compatible options.
Just purchase a HUI compatible device.
Still it's far from C8 in functionality within PT.