Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Re: iOS monitor control for MTRX

Ah great! I did update the firmware/DADman the other day, but have only done a quick regression test with the app.

BTW the coming version supports Bluetooth input devices, so you can for example assign a foot switch to the External key.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Nice Job Luke!

After reading this I am writing some s/w for the TMC-1 to emulate the Mom, it can also talk with both the PC and MTRX/NTP/DAD which will allow me to incorporate meters.

One suggestion for you, why not include the External GPI as an extra switch on your interface.

Kind Rgds

Colin
Old 07-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbroad View Post
Nice Job Luke!

After reading this I am writing some s/w for the TMC-1 to emulate the Mom, it can also talk with both the PC and MTRX/NTP/DAD which will allow me to incorporate meters.

One suggestion for you, why not include the External GPI as an extra switch on your interface.

Kind Rgds

Colin
Thanks Colin, and nice to hear from you – I'm a long time admirer of your work.

It's a good idea about the External GPI, actually to be honest I just forgot about it initially – however one reason is that there's no visual feedback associated with the External key in the protocol, and this may have some UX implications. I need to think about it some more. It will be mapped to the arrow key (I forget which right now) in the next version.

Re: meters, I'm sure you've figured this out but – unfortunately the MOM protocol won't give you meter information below -40dB and only in 0.5dB steps. And you have to jump through some hoops to interpolate the actual dB value from the LED colour states. But, one deals with the cards as they are laid!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Thanks Colin, and nice to hear from you – I'm a long time admirer of your work.

It's a good idea about the External GPI, actually to be honest I just forgot about it initially – however one reason is that there's no visual feedback associated with the External key in the protocol, and this may have some UX implications. I need to think about it some more. It will be mapped to the arrow key (I forget which right now) in the next version.

Re: meters, I'm sure you've figured this out but – unfortunately the MOM protocol won't give you meter information below -40dB and only in 0.5dB steps. And you have to jump through some hoops to interpolate the actual dB value from the LED colour states. But, one deals with the cards as they are laid!
Hi Luke, Yes I have the meter information but cannot give it to you (nda). On the TMC-1-Penta The user specifies all the I/O and the TMC-1 software assigns the routing and the summing channels, the TMC-1 then knows which channels and summing points to meter. With DadMan and Mom the user defines the I/O and routing and DadMan software assigns the summing. I found the DadMan software harder to set up but it does give the advantage of allowing more complex routing.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbroad View Post
Hi Luke, Yes I have the meter information but cannot give it to you (nda). On the TMC-1-Penta The user specifies all the I/O and the TMC-1 software assigns the routing and the summing channels, the TMC-1 then knows which channels and summing points to meter. With DadMan and Mom the user defines the I/O and routing and DadMan software assigns the summing. I found the DadMan software harder to set up but it does give the advantage of allowing more complex routing.
Ah yes, I didn't read your message closely enough and was conflating the meter information (presumably reported by the MTRX/AX32 to DADman/TMC-1) with the current monitor gain reported by DADman back to the MOM. It's the latter has the limitations I mentioned above.

I'd be interested in adding metering to the app, although unless there's a way to have DADman proxy that over the MOM protocol, I'd rather not have to pair the app directly with the MTRX/AX32. Still, I might just have a peek with Wireshark now... :)
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Luke, thought you'd get a kick out of this "client case" posted on Avid's website

https://www.avid.com/customer-storie...ent=1544451630

let me direct you to near the end for the pull quote:

Quote:
"Pro Tools | MTRX allows us to have a virtual monitoring matrix that’s fully customizable, controllable and stays in the digital realm. And with MOM, the app for iOS, that makes it even better for a multiple operator mix stage."
Bolded by me. That has to be your app being referred to.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Luke, thought you'd get a kick out of this "client case" posted on Avid's website

https://www.avid.com/customer-storie...ent=1544451630

let me direct you to near the end for the pull quote:

Bolded by me. That has to be your app being referred to.

Ah, awesome! Glad someone is finding my first attempt at iOS programming useful

There's still an issue with DADman not dealing gracefully with MOMs that come and go from the network. Hopefully they will fix it although arguably it's not in their interest if they're hoping to sell hardware controllers!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 AM

Hi,

been following this thread with interest, since we are about to order an MTRX and DAD MOM controller. The iOS app looks good, will try it for sure when gear arrives. Thanks to the developer

Meanwhile, if somebody could provide some help on the following would be greatly appreciated:

I noticed the the DAD MOM has a GPI input, but the MOM user manual is scarce on info about it. It only says that it´s a mini jack, can be used for a footswitch and that functions can be programmed on the DADMan/Pro Mon.

We would like to use the GPI to remotely activate the Talkback switch from the producer position which will not be within reach of the unit. But instead of a footswitch, we would like to use a tabletop switch.

Does anybody has experience on building such a circuit? Would a SPST momentary switch do the job? Is the mini jack needed a TRS or just hot and shield?

Any advice from MTRX and MOM users? Many thanks.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 AM

SPST momentary should work fine. The GPI Input 3.5 mm jack should be tip and shield but either will work. Just don’t solder the ring if using TRS.

You’ll know it’s working without the switch in place if you have it plugged into the mom and touch the bare wires together at the other end and the TB triggers.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
SPST momentary should work fine. The GPI Input 3.5 mm jack should be tip and shield but either will work. Just don’t solder the ring if using TRS.

You’ll know it’s working without the switch in place if you have it plugged into the mom and touch the bare wires together at the other end and the TB triggers.
Thanks a lot for the reply. So, I solder one of the poles of the switch to the mini jack tip and the other to the shield? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Do you know if is there any way the external switch can replicate the latch/momentary behaviour of the TB switch on the MOM by short or long press? Or it just activates Latch mode?

Can you tell me the options that are available on the Dadman/Promon to configure the GPI?

Sorry for so many questions and once again thanks for the help!

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3