Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Default PT 12.7.1 crash

I'm wondering if anyone has had this particular crash.

I'm running a mac quad core 5,1 with a Native card, Sierra and PT 12.7.1

This is the second time this has happened. I booted a session at 9:00 Am. We tracked acoustic guitar from 10:40 until 12:00. We comped the guitar tracks and saved along the way. We then tracked vocals until 2:00.

I saved and closed PT. At 4:00 I rebooted PT to have it hang during the boot. I then force quit PT and rebooted the Mac. I then can boot PT. There are only two files int he session and none of the comp work.

When I look in the audio files folder on the drive there are only two audio files that I imported for ref at 9:00 AM. When I look at session backups they only appear to go to number 14 that was saved at 10:26 AM.

Everything I did today is gone. Not an audio file to be found on the ANY drive.

It's almost like the computer or finder had crashed but Protools ran fine and all the audio I was working with must have been in cashe.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this. Like I said this is the second time this has happened and it has only happened in PT 12.7 and Sierra.

Thanks for any insight,

Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Re: PT 12.7.1 crash

Probably a drive issue. I've had this happen. Intermittent drive problem. Replaced drive. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Check in the Audio folder where the files are saved and see if the files are there but somehow lost the linking or something.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-29-2017, 05:04 PM

There are no audio files in the audio folder (except two files used as ref. imported at 9:00 AM). The other interesting thing is that the last Time Machine backup was at 9:22 AM. It's set to do one every hour. The next one is at 4:35 PM after my reboot.

There are no audio files from the recording session at all. Again it seems like the finder or the machine had some sort of freeze but PT ran on top fine.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:10 PM

1) What happened during Save... Did PT Throw and error ?

2) What made you reboot Protools ?

3) Try this tool "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" and see if you can find the files.
Perhaps they are Hidden or place in some temp folder..

If Protools went thru' with the save command with NO errors. The files HAVE to be there and if they are not then that is serious bug inside of Protools. If you are certain about your time indications you might want to check the console app and see about logs being written at that point in time. Then if you find something take appropriate actions and contact vendors.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
1) What happened during Save... Did PT Throw and error ?

2) What made you reboot Protools ?

3) Try this tool "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" and see if you can find the files.
Perhaps they are Hidden or place in some temp folder..

If Protools went thru' with the save command with NO errors. The files HAVE to be there and if they are not then that is serious bug inside of Protools. If you are certain about your time indications you might want to check the console app and see about logs being written at that point in time. Then if you find something take appropriate actions and contact vendors.
We simply stepped out for lunch. The machine saved with no errors and then I quit the PT application. It closed fine. I came back from lunch and booted PT and it hung during the boot. I force quit and rebooted the machine.

he fact that there are no Time Machine backups is also very strange.

I'll try your app suggestion thanks. I'll post with any news.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 PM

The session that boots up has no comp work or anything. No new tracks that had been added during the session. It's like I never worked in this session. Time stood still at 9:30 AM.

I'm running a scan with EasyUS Data Recovery.

This is VERY strange.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Do you have any automatic Session BU files sitting somewhere you could try. A long time ago I had opened a backup session after a crash and forgotten I had it open and kept saving that. then When opening the "Real" project it was hours back because I had save tot he Backup instead of that...

At least in all my years of PT I have NOT heard about the issue you are mentioning. Quite the Horror Trip my friend. Not just one day's worth of work lost but also the insecurity of it happening again...

Have you encountered ANY odd behavior of the disk in general - Sounds, or oddity in general ?

If so - you might wanna look at it and have it checked. System Drive ? or external drive ?

Also if you force quit Protools it HAS to have a log somewhere and that could be vital to figuring out what happened.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Do you have any automatic Session BU files sitting somewhere you could try. A long time ago I had opened a backup session after a crash and forgotten I had it open and kept saving that. then When opening the "Real" project it was hours back because I had save tot he Backup instead of that...

At least in all my years of PT I have NOT heard about the issue you are mentioning. Quite the Horror Trip my friend. Not just one day's worth of work lost but also the insecurity of it happening again...

Have you encountered ANY odd behavior of the disk in general - Sounds, or oddity in general ?

If so - you might wanna look at it and have it checked. System Drive ? or external drive ?

Also if you force quit Protools it HAS to have a log somewhere and that could be vital to figuring out what happened.
I know! This is really nuts. Everything worked perfect. No crashes or anything that might make me suspect any problem. I also have been using PT for decades and never do I worry about an audio file not being on the drive. NEVER!

This happened one other time and the similar thing was the hang on booting up.

Its strange to see the backup sessions and that there is only 14 total and they stop at 10:26. The time machine backups stopped right before that. The only audio files that exist in the session had been imported before 10:30. It's like the machine stopped keeping track of anything after 10:30 Am. I'm guessing all the playback and editing we did was being handled in cashe otherwise I don't know how we could have performed work that didn't get saved in any way.

I'm still letting the recovery software work but I'm not feeling too hopeful.

Thanks for our help,

Scott
Old 04-29-2017, 07:23 PM

It's an intermittent drive. Trust me. I went through thebexaxt same thing. Tomorrow the files might be there. Then the next day they will be gone. This can happen in any session. At that's still on the drive. You can run disk warrior etc... It will say drive ok. Then the next time you do it will say corrupted directory.

Get a new recording drive.

What I did after I figured out it was sporadic was wait for a day the files were actually there. Then moved it over to new drive.

The next day some files were missing again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk