Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 AM

Default PT 10.3 HD:How do I boot or install non-HD version?

I have PT 10.3 HD but I would like to boot or install an additional non-HD version?
I have a second computer and would like to run a plain version of PT 10.3
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 AM

Default Re: PT 10.3 HD:How do I boot or install non-HD version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
I have PT 10.3 HD but I would like to boot or install an additional non-HD version?
I have a second computer and would like to run a plain version of PT 10.3
It's the same software. Your ilok licensing will allow or not allow certain things to function.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM

I have a bundled license for HD and that's what I use all the time but there are a few bugs that PT10 users don't have when using non-HD. I have the license for both HD and non-HD. I want to try out plain old PT 10 to see if I still get a bug where the sequencer engine fails after moving notation notes around in the midi editor while in dynamic transport, edit selection linked with timeline mode. I grab and move a few notes while in play maybe 3 or 4 times and then it crashes. This happens on my laptop too. I also have a fresh install on a different partition and I get the same error. The interface works but I get a mdie 476 error when trying to push play.
I don't use Avid hardware on these computers but I still enjoy all the HD features except there may be a few bugs.

So, I would like to try booting in to regular PT 10 if possible.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Again, there's no such thing as an installer for regular Protools 10. It does not exist. The people who buy regular PT10 get the exact same installer as you.

The only way to possibly troubleshoot what you're referring to would be to obtain an Ilok license for regular, non-HD protools.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Again, there's no such thing as an installer for regular Protools 10. It does not exist. The people who buy regular PT10 get the exact same installer as you.

The only way to possibly troubleshoot what you're referring to would be to obtain an Ilok license for regular, non-HD protools.
True this is. My 2 cents only, but I have had no change in operation of performance on my setup with either 9(non-HD) or 10 HD.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 PM

Yes it is the same installer but I have a bundled license. I should be able to use both of them but only on 1 Ilok of course. I think I would have to do this on the Ilok level during installation. Maybe suppress HD on my Ilok while installing on my other system? I don't know much about Ilok capabilities and policies. I think it would fix a certain crash that I'm having where I would like to edit on the fly in the score page while in edit linked to timeline is on along with dynamic playback (which is experiencing a different 10.3 bug at the moment according to Avid) so my edits immediately playback without crashing. I can't imagine it being anything but the software since it happens on my Laptop and another separate partition, installation, and OS on my desktop.
It's really not a big deal in the scheme of things but I thought it would be easy to do.
thanks
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 AM

If you plug the iLok into a computer that doesn't have HD hardware associated (eg: a laptop/a secondary non-HD desktop rig), the splash screen will still come up as Pro Tools HD, as it always defaults to the higher version that's in the bundle on the iLok.
In the above scenario, you're essentially running regular PT10 (or 9) with the CPTK features.
There's no way to get a non HD splash screen to come up with a PT10HD bundle asset on your iLok, you'd need a separate iLok with just regular PT10 on it to do that.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 AM

I don't understand why it is you're trying to use the non-HD version.

PTHD is exactly the same as native PT. Your license unlocks extra features like input monitoring, extended track counts, and disk cache. Otherwise, there is no operational difference between HD and non-HD.

Whatever problems you are having are not going to go away simply because you are not using an HD iLok license.

Perhaps maybe you should tell us exactly what problems you are having rather than trying to downgrade your version of Pro Tools for no readily necessary reason?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM

I only want to do a test, not permanently downgrade. You should be able to choose what you want to install. I love the memory caching in HD. PT9 and PT10 are different animals HD or nonHD. I thought because PTHD locks into Native or HDX that maybe the sequencer performance is different due to a more precise audio lock. I already posted my problem months ago and it is in this thread too.
It has to do with an error that I get on both my laptop and desktop ever since 10 and now I found that PT9HD has the same problem.
This is the thread I posted a while ago:

""Notation display bug crashes sequence engine-not changed.
Update 8-18
1. Create blank session.
2. Create one midi track
3. Pencil in some notes
4. View as clips
5. Double click clip to open midi editor
6. Switch to notation display enable not the piano roll midi editor.
7. Make sure transport is in dynamic mode by right clicking on the transport play button.
8. Link track and edit selection.
9. Put in play and move some notes around. Do this several times!

I get a dead sequencer every time. PT 9 on mac, no hardware. PT10.2 HD on PC with M-Audio 192 Audiophile pci, not native hardware.
Can't play but I can still navigate around the program.
If you press rewind, it locks into rewind to session start.
While trying to cause the old GUI freeze bug to happen, I discovered this.
This was not fixed in 10.2 and it exists on the Mac.
Error is note assertion in"..\Machine_Control\CArbitraryRecordingMgr.cpp ", line 148 caused from moving notes.

Assertion in "..\Mdie_TrackPlayer.cpp", line 476
caused from trying to put back into play.

I have to reboot the program when this happens but not the computer.
I've had this happen several times before in the earlier versions of PT10HD
The instrument is functional as a live instrument with audio but you can't play the sequencer. The line 476 error comes up every time you press play after causing line 148 error.

Windows 7 64bit on both machines. Both validated legally and updated. Both using the same I-lok licenses.""

This bug on my 2 systems still happens with 10.3
I also run a VM hack on my PC laptop that actually runs OSX and PT for Mac with horrible glitchy audio and 500 ms latency if I'm lucky. I get the same crash! And it's the same deal. I reboot the program, not the computer, and all is better.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.