Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Things That Don\'t Make Sense in Pro Tools !!!!!

I don't think he was asking about how to turn on the pre & post roll (that's too obvious).. I think he wanted the audition with pre & post roll keystrokes (which use the arrow keys and modifiers.. which are different depending on if you're Mac or PC).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-22-2003, 10:49 PM

Another one that kills me is with all the different modifier keys used with a mouse click it is too easy to mess up and Option-click a fader setting every fader to zero. OK, I messed up but let me undo it, PLEASE. More than once I've had the pain of a client waiting for a ten minute reload because I made a stupid little error.

sm
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve MacMillan:
Another one that kills me is with all the different modifier keys used with a mouse click it is too easy to mess up and Option-click a fader setting every fader to zero. OK, I messed up but let me undo it, PLEASE. More than once I've had the pain of a client waiting for a ten minute reload because I made a stupid little error.

sm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Steve

The same can happen if you've been switching between Mac & PC.. 'cause the modifiers keys are physically opposite on either platform.. so I've accidently assigned all outputs accidently instead of just selected tracks.. where there's also no undo... except Revert to saved.

Cheers.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-23-2003, 12:47 AM

A couple of quick notes about what has been said...

Produceher:
Quote:
1. When you highlight and cut, copy or paste all the tracks (by grabbing in the timeline window) why don't the markers go with it. Wouldn't that make sense?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think that this could be best implemented by allowing the markers track to be grouped just like any other track to the audio or midi tracks that we want them to follow. Edits shift in Pro Tools all the time, until the markers learn to follow the edits, they'll be pretty useless.

Also, I second the notion of dragging and copying bus sends. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stuart:
Quote:
2) "Render Automation" for regions, a bit of a stretch, noted... With a clip editor, yeah, that's it. Don't sell me the "duplicate" function, but don't take that away either.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think that DigiTranslator will do that for ya: Just export the tracks you want rendered as an OMF, then re-open the OMF with DigiTranslator and select "Apply clip-based gain destructively" from the drop menu, re-import the tracks, and you're off. A bit inelegant, but functional at least for now.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:54 AM

1. Shortcut BTD (I thought we get it in 6.0)
2. Clip names at the left hand side of the screen (The clip name is always at the beginning of the clip but if you zoom in and you can΄t see the beginning anymore the name is disapeared).
3. Yes I agree: an undo for Option-click on a fader.
4. Copy aux sends.
5. Ability to copy or move a mono (stereo) plugin to a stereo (mono) track.

Cheers Wolfgang
Old 04-23-2003, 02:04 AM

What about the 4 char limit on track names on Control24 etc
Old 04-23-2003, 02:46 AM

make the region lock really lock the region. right now you can still audiosuite, fade and splice a clip even when it΄s locked. the only thing you can΄t do is drag it to another track. you call that "locked"?
why not have a horizontal lock per track (see AudiioVision) and a real region lock (including everything)?

in dialogue editing you only need horizontal drag once in a while, so how about reversing the ctrl+drag funktion e.g. ctrl+drag would unlock horizontal lock. this way it would be much safer to rearrange big blocks in a session. when zoomed out you can΄t really see if a huge selection slips to the playhead or stays in place...

frank.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:00 AM

make a more intelligent "save session copy in...". when saving a session copy from a multiple folder session with duplicate filenames the process exits with an error -36 (disk error) because it doesn΄t rename the duplicates or keeps the folder structure. right now it is impossible so consolidate such a session...

frank.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:16 AM

- rectified waveform view can't be viewed past a certain zoom-in point.

- no colour assignment for tracks based on their output

- big session counter must show what the current timeline counter is

- that grey area at the top right of the edit window is used for nothing

- each playlist should have it's own automation data

- I can split a stereo track to 2 mono .L and .R components, but there is no option to "make stereo" of .L and .R mono tracks

- there is no on-screen indicator (or selection) of the different page scrolling modes
Old 04-23-2003, 01:18 PM

"Before copying.. shift + click in the timeline which has your Markers at the top of the edit window.. and the markers will be included in the edit."

This is handy...but it doesn't work with nudge.

For the billionth time, key shortcut for BOUNCE TO DISC.

And what about the lousy way PT handles automation by putting those annoying slanting lines on the sides of regions? And when it adds automation points for volume, pan, etc where there are none when regions are edited.

Command dash is cool for toggling views, but PLEASE switch the views in midi between notes and velocities. I never use the regions view for midi. Ever.