Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-23-2000, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Sound Quality (continued)???

Uh... Spoonman... On page 2 of this thread he does

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-16-2001, 05:31 PM

I'd like to add one thing. I have a client who works at his studio using Tannoy Reveal's, and then he comes to me, where we listen to Genelec 1031/1092. He's been leveling vocals at home, and he does his best to even them out (in extreme ) So he believes he's got them perfectly leveled, and then he comes to me, where he hears that there's still a 1dB range of leveling to do.

What I mean to say is that it's not strange if many people don't hear any difference between mixers A & B (or other similar listening tests) - they simply don't have the reference to be able to tell.

In my control room we can easily make consious decisions on 0.1dB differences on for instance vocal tracks (depending on the overall dynamic range in the music, of coz) Whereas in some control rooms, you can just about discern 1dB differences. Due to this, I feel that the statistics derived from this thread is useless.

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]

www.hypersonic.se
Old 03-17-2001, 12:59 AM

Ack! Do I hear a disgruntled engineer? If you don't like any of the music you engineer then you really should find another job. I don't speak for everyone, but I do this for the love of the music.

Well, now that this thread is back from the dead, can we get Mixer B to work with 5.1? I can't seem to make it work. And I'd rather have a dithered mixer despite any audible differences or lack thereof.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:21 AM

Sweetness lands a bomb. Actually, I'm listening right now to The Cardigans remake of Ironman. I guess you can say it's an old song, but the remake is awesome, and the production makes the song. Ironman with a subtle dance beat. Wonder if it was done on Pro Tools?

As far as missing John Lennon; I never cared much for that guy anyway - him and his peace.

Old 03-18-2001, 11:37 AM

mmhh: jes the last decade will not be an hystorical era in the music domain...
Pro Tools has nothing to do with it!
Dynamics ha much to do.
The day when the Majors will release music containing a dinamic AND a different rithm section (in the last decade we heard just 3-4 rithm styles-sound: horrible), then maybe we will find some real HIT. BE ORIGINAL BE ORIGINAL BE ORIGINAL BE ORIGINAL BE ORIGINAL

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 03-19-2001, 10:59 AM

Corey wrote: "And I'd rather have a dithered mixer despite any audible differences or lack thereof."

In that case, just rip out a couple of chips from one of your mix farm cards! You still won't hear much of a difference but at least your available DSP should just about match what it would be if you used the dithered plug!

Let me get this straight, you don't really care whether or not you can hear a difference, as long as you can use up more DSP? ... Er .. Why?

Greg
Old 05-18-2001, 07:16 PM

Well, if you guys are doubtful about the last decade's place in music history, that would be because you haven't been listening. Admitedly, there has been close to nothing in the mainstream, but a few layers down a lot of good records was made. Only unfortunate that the suitcases have become morons. (Go to sleep old men, you know jack. And take you cynical sons with you)

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]

www.hypersonic.se