Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 AM

Default PT11 and Mid-2011 iMac: Can We Get A Consensus?

I've plowed through just about every discussion on this, but no conclusions. So let's see if we can get something definite:

To avoid all the resource usage errors in Yosemite, what's the answer to getting Pro Tools 11 to behave nicely with the mid-2011 iMac (in my case the 21.5" i5 2.7GHz with stock HD and 16gb RAM)?

1) Install a SSD
2) Increase the RAM to 32gb
3) "Delete native plug-ins" (I still don't know how or why I'd do that)
4) A combo of the above (specify)
5) Get a new iMac

Thanks, all!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM

I have a 2011 27" iMac, but Avid recommends the i7 processor instead of the i5. Also, unless you ordered otherwise, your system drive is most likely 5400RPM. Avid also recommends NOT recording to your system drive and it should be 7200RPM.

Try using an external drive first. I just purchased a G-Technlogy 1TB Thunderbolt. It's small in size and, because it has a Thunderbolt interface, is quite quick without being on the same buss as your interface.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM

Thanks for that, Eric. Interesting, since in the past, mastering off external drives used to be not recommended. I need to keep up! This dovetails into a sub-question. I'm using my Thunderbolt port for a second monitor. Do Thunderbolt drives daisy-chain without sacrificing performance? Or would a FW800 7200RPM drive also work?

EDIT: Wait a minute. I AM using an external drive for Pro Tools sessions...a 7200RPM FW800 drive. So since I answered my last question, I revert to my Thunderbolt question there. Thanks!

Last edited by GreatBigRadio; 05-31-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM

I don't think it'd be an issue, but since you ARE using an external drive for your sessions, then the only thing I can think of is the processor.

What kind of errors are you getting? How many tracks are you trying to record? Based on your name, I'm assuing you do VO work?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I don't think it'd be an issue, but since you ARE using an external drive for your sessions, then the only thing I can think of is the processor.

What kind of errors are you getting? How many tracks are you trying to record? Based on your name, I'm assuing you do VO work?
I actually do full production - promos, spots, multi-voice productions with fx and music. The whole shootin' match.

I get the CPU usage / H/W Buffer Size / Delete Plug-Ins error. I have the buffer size maxed to 1024 samples. But I did follow the suggestion to stop notifications and blocked my drives from Spotlight - and the System Usage window's barely registering CPU usage. That's now looking MUCH better.

But in general, the startup and performance of the iMac is kind of laggy for the first ten minutes or so. Not cool when I need to jump in and get something done, especially with Pro Tools 11.

Hence, the original question. I do know when I put a SSD in my MBP, powering up went from a couple of minutes to about 15 seconds, and every program launches quickly without the technicolor pizza.

Thanks, Eric!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM

I've been in the recording biz since 1971, but have specilized in Post for Radio/TV & Film since the late 80's.

Putting an SSD in your iMac will help your startup and apps, but isn't going to do anything to help ProTools work faster.

My personal system, an iMac, came with a 256GB SSD as well as a 1TB 7200RPM drive. If I have to, I do sessions on the internal 1TB, but prefer to run everything on an external. All of our studio systems are MacPro towers.

I have a script that I run that turns EVERYTHING OFF... Sleep Mode, Hibernation, Mission Control, Time Machine, Spotlight, etc. If you send me a private email, I'll send you the script. Simply double click on it and you're given the option to turn off or on anything. Restart you Mac and see how it runs.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM

I'm no Mac expert, but there is a huge difference between i5 and i7 on PC

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Putting an SSD in your iMac will help your startup and apps, but isn't going to do anything to help ProTools work faster.
Thanks for the offer, Erik! Let me see how this latest fix works out, and I'll certainly let you know.

Will the boost in RAM help Pro Tools?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Will the boost in RAM help Pro Tools?
maybe
you should monitor your RAM usage and see how tight you're running

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-01-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I have a 2011 27" iMac, but Avid recommends the i7 processor instead of the i5. Also, unless you ordered otherwise, your system drive is most likely 5400RPM. Avid also recommends NOT recording to your system drive and it should be 7200RPM.

Try using an external drive first. I just purchased a G-Technlogy 1TB Thunderbolt. It's small in size and, because it has a Thunderbolt interface, is quite quick without being on the same buss as your interface.
We probably have the same machine (or close). Got mine from the Apple refurb store; I think it was a BTO because the system drive is a 2 terabyte 7200 rpm spinner, has the upgraded video card, and is an i7. With 32 gig ram and separate drives for PT and samples it's been an overall winner. Having those separate drives has been a big plus, along with the optimizations.

QAPLA!