Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Anyone had Hard-disc recorder experiences in Post Production

We have just got a show in recording bands and judges to 2x Fostex DV 824 dvd ram hard disk. I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with these recorders once in Post Production?? They will be recording 16 tracks for 5 hours of band performances per day. I would of thought it would be best to sync the recordings at the digitizing stage with our rushes so the editor would cut with all the audio. But this would mean a lot of tracklaying to each rushes clip (time of day timecode) so maybe it would be better conforming once the edit is locked off. This however will also take a long time to tracklay as we would have to find the right hard disc roll find it's source timecode and then tracklay it in but for EVERY edit point!!

Just want to know how other people have done it or any forums which may help. Is there a fancy bit if software where it will autoconform a final edit?

Thanks for your time

Tom
http://www.myspace.com/tomjoyce01
Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Anyone had Hard-disc recorder experiences in Post Production

Titan by Synchro Arts
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 08-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone had Hard-disc recorder experiences in Post Produc

I second that, we are doing exactly what you want to do, rushes on dvd ram from dv824, then conformed with Titan, works a treat.

Tony
Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I second that, we are doing exactly what you want to do, rushes on dvd ram from dv824, then conformed with Titan, works a treat.

Tony
Ok great. I'm presuming that you do this on the avid side rather than pro tools as source timecode (time of day) will not come over to pro tools via an OMF. Is this correct?

t
http://www.myspace.com/tomjoyce01
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 AM

I copy all the files I will need to a firewire drive( we get the guys on location to name the dvds the same as the picture rolls, so they change dvds every time there is a tape change). Then taking an edl from the Avid, Titan will conform the files on the hard drive by reading the timecode stamp and produce a Protools session (V5). You can then open in PT and hey presto!

You do have to be careful with file names and Titan will only run on a Mac but you do not have to have PTools installed on it.

Tony