Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 03:12 AM

Default ProTools /ilok License Management Advice Thread

I am currently going through another ilok recovery process with pace, and a few useful posts prompted a little reading and thought provocation made me write this thread and look for a few more seasoned views.

I'm an amateur home recorder whom basically uses pro-tools to record demos to be worked out with the band and then done "properly" in a studio with experienced engineers / professionals.

I use pro-tools on two mac's one which is static in my home setup, one which is vary rarely used, but is used for recording live sessions or what I call basement sessions where you have an idea and just grab the laptop, a mic, a guitar and an audio interface and just record there and then. This is very very rare, or normally planned well in advance.

so my base requirements are static setup %95 of the time, %5 of the time move to other mac and use that.

I don't have a huge amount of additional software I use, and certainly almost none that require ilok authorisation.

I wish to protect myself as best possible from the ilok process I've had to go through a few times, - I know I can get zero downtime, but I refuse to pay this as I feel it's a tax for a bad system, and even then it doesn't stop the process of having to send back a physical key overseas at a huge cost (relative) and effort, it just really gives you temporary licenses while that process is going on.

I'm having a look at the newer cloud based authentication that pro-tools and ilok supports, detailed here https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...pro-tools-2018

I understand the premise of it's style a physical license that you move around, but I don't really understand in depth the pros/cons of my options.

as I understand it for pro-tools my options are

a.) use the ilok that I'm currently going through replacement on and move it between laptops when needed - this is my model to date

pros - easy, just move the usb key, job done. Can deal with any other potential licenses that requires ilok auth

cons - burns a usb port (as iloks suck with a hub) risk of failure, if the ilok fails out of action and the headache process begins.

b.) move the license to the main mac - and when I want to move, move it back onto the ilok and take it with me

pros - no need for ilok, no "real time" checking in the cloud every 5 minutes to see if license is valid - I 'think' if the ilok fails and I have to do the RMA process I'm safe as my license will still be held on the laptop

cons - minor hassle of moving license on/off ilok if I want to move, I'm not %100 clear on how to backup and maintain my license if the mac has a problem, I'm unclear on the reality of if I have to RMA an ilok while the license is on my computer, I'm pretty sure it's as simple as the recovery won't recover that license as it's not on the ilok so won't be transfered to the new ilok
(I'm also not %100 sure you can store the license on the mac any more)

c.) move license to the cloud

pros - can use both laptops on demand, no need for usb socket, I should be protected if the ilok fails (not %100 sure on this as with option b)

cons - needs internet connection (this shouldn't be a problem and if it is I just put it on the ilok in advance) - I'm not sure on the stability of the cloud service offering the license having no personal experience with it, I'm not aware of the recovery options / process if the cloud service has a problem, I'm also not aware of how the constant checking the internet for the licenses validity would have on the pro-tools usage, I appreciate it's a very light weight workload to do, but depending on how it's engineered I'm not convinced by what I read yet, so again experienced views would be appreciated.

Have I outlined the options enough, are they correct in my assumptions, I feel that option C is probably the best for me, but B on paper also looks very strong, I'd love to hear some opinions and views from experienced users.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Default Re: ProTools /ilok License Management Advice Thread

If you did ZDT with TLC turned on, it’s a different thing for the replacement licenses you get. Also declare the ilok lost and not broken in that case (no return shipping)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 AM

Right. The TLC option gives you your licences back almost instantly in the case of loss.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Also they’ll ship you a replacement physical ilok for your “lost” ilok. So in all: you need to keep a spare ilok in case your main one goes bad. If that happens declare it lost, get your replacement licenses near instantly replaced into your ilok account. Dump those to your spare ilok. Wait for the replacement blank ilok that becomes your new spare.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:43 AM

ZDT with TLC = CHEAP INSURANCE.

You can always buy 2 iLoks and just transfer the license between the two.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 PM

In addition to the advice above, for folks that think the whole iLok thing stinks and costs too much, stop and think for a moment about what you are now able to accomplish with a computer, an iLok, a mic and a modest interface. Its a bargain compared to years ago when you needed $500K just to get started

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-22-2018, 04:59 AM

Yet another thread where Mr. Darcy whinges on about the iLok system. We've already given him suggestions on what to do but he refuses to take our advice.

First thing when I got my PT system was when I registered my iLok I also got ZDT and a spare iLok. And now with TLC what's to fret about?

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 AM

I wish all my plugins had ilok authorization.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I wish all my plugins had ilok authorization.
You're not the only one.
I have one program (VPS Avenger) that has a real mess of an authorization system for not only the program itself but the expansion libraries as well. Not quite challenge/response but it requires browser & email connectivity for one's daw computer. No way to do an offline authorization.

QAPLA!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No way to do an offline authorization.
I will not use software that is that limiting.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com