Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2018, 03:23 AM

Default Why do a massive amount of edits make PT crawl?

Is it the CPU or the graphics card that handles all the clips in the edit screen?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm working on a project with a lot of edits, basically every note in all instruments is edited (cut and time corrected). But as the number of clips increase, Pro Tools gets more and more sluggish to handle, just jumping from one place in the song to another may take up to 10 seconds.

It helps grouping the clips, and even better, it really helps consolidating the tracks. But what I really want is to have the flexibility to fine tune the timing as the song evolves. So I'm looking at upgrading my hardware.

In the studio I have a top of the line 2010/2012 Mac Pro, at home I have a top of the line iMac 2015. They are basically equally sluggish when it comes to handling songs with many clips. Suggestions?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Why do a massive amount of edits make PT crawl?

RAM, Hard Drive Speed and Processor all play a big part when dealing with those issues. What are the specs of your computers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 AM

Have you tried freezing the tracks instead of consolidating? Frozen tracks can always be thawed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Also try thinning automation ! Change the tracks mode to volume , sustain etc. Sometimes a dense automated data can be a cpu hug .
Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindaas View Post
In the studio I have a top of the line 2010/2012 Mac Pro, at home I have a top of the line iMac 2015. They are basically equally sluggish when it comes to handling songs with many clips. Suggestions?
I assume you have crossfades for these edits?
What is your diskcache set on?
Do you have SSDs or not? (and no, those "hybrid" drives are not good enough)

Most likely it is the read/write and fade generation which is dependent on where all these things are stored. Increasing those speeds helps.

Last edited by BScout; 05-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Unless you're continuing to make tweaks and revisions to those edits, it's probably advisable to do what us old dawgs have had to do for eons with ProTools when doing dense drum edits, etc., etc...

Do a 'Save As...', duplicate the playlists, add 'CONS' to the playlist names, Consolidate the tracks, delete the unused playlists, clear the region bin, and get your snappy system back.

If you need to go back, you can always use import session data and bring in the edit playlist from the swollen PT session file, but in general, this is the way to go...