Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2020, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Still got the crash...

But this is failing past the initialization/startup of the playback engine. You will see parts of that with "PBEngine" in the log.. what PBEngine device does it think it's opening?

If you hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools First is starting up you should be seeing the playback engine dialog asking you to select an interface before the dialog about opening a project. That happens well before you get to the Open Project dialog panel.

So are you holding down the 'N' key until you see the playback engine dialog appear?

Have you carefully trashed prefs and databases? Paying attention to the Pro Tools First differences. Unfortunately Avid support for Pro Tools First is so poor I don't think there are even clear directions for trashing prefs and databases for First, but the differences should be obvious with Preferences in say a "Pro Tools First" folder, as you look around. Follow the Windows 7 instructions here and modify yourself for Pro Tools First. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...411#delete_pro

Is this getting further than before? All you may be seeing now might be a problem with cloud sessions... which are incredibly flakey. DUC is full of complaints about that. And it's one of the reasons I'd not waste my time using First.... risking my work to flakey cloud projects. If you want to use Pro Tools you would be much better off subscribing to Pro Tools standard and using local sessions (the historical format Pro Tools uses.. but that Pro Tools First crippleware does not support). You can sign up online for Pro Tools Ultimate for free for one month.. it uses exactly the same software install as Pro Tools standard (but not First), you can subscribe to a standard license and use that with the same install and any sessions you create during the trial. I'd recommend you get a physical iLok key and put the trial and subscription licenses on that, I'd avoid cloud based licensing which requires you maintain a reliable online connection to iLok's licensing service while working with Pro Tools.

AV Software? Firewalls? Network problems. Lots of things could likely trip up the flakey cloud projects.

Or just switch to a different DAW, Reaper is often a good choice on Windows. Just much easier to get started with and much less crippled than First.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-02-2020 at 02:17 AM.