Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Default Re: How's 12.4 running for you?

Sunday I noticed there was a new version of Kontakt. Installed it straight away!!!!

Monday, I spent all day mixing. Lot's of VI's running live but not a single crash during a long day. Unprecedented for me with 12.4. (I hardly touched Pro Tools and did everything from an S6.)

This morning I started work on a new track. No crashes all morning. WOOT! I'm wondering if Kontakt was the culprit. But no. I then use the new Commit function..... Immediately after that, again with the crashes! Just selecting a clip and BOOM! Nudge a clip... BOOM. This really sucks.

At the risk of repeating myself, if this is caused by a rogue plug-in, why is Pro Tools taken down so easily? Why is PT so vulnerable to a dodgy plug-in?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 PM

I've been getting 4 crashes a day min. THE WEIRDEST, right when the Avid splash screen came up. Sound Toys has been acting weird. Moving one knob will move another, Echo Boy for example. Not an auto gain feature. From Sound Toys tech:

'Based on the reports I have heard, and my own experience, Pro Tools 12.4 is not a very stable host, no matter what version of our plug-ins you are using.'

I don't know what Avid is doing but I wish they'd get it together.

Last edited by Intransit; 03-22-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, if this is caused by a rogue plug-in, why is Pro Tools taken down so easily? Why is PT so vulnerable to a dodgy plug-in?
Check out Bit Wig's 'sand boxing' feature. Basically if a plugin throws an error it doesn't bring your whole system down. While every other DAW developer is innovating Avid is playing catchup and working on 'cloud collaboration' (which I have zero need for)

THE ONLY reason, because Avid is and shouldn't be a publicly traded company 'the cloud' is for shareholders.

Track presets, folders, plugin sandboxing, bug fixes don't sound sexy to wall street. This is Avid's biggest problem. I wish PT could be sold off already to a company that cares and understands the industry and where it's headed.

As for one rouge plugin. Out of frustration I kept only the necessities in my plugin folder:

Sound Toys, NI, Omnisphere 2, Trash 2, PSP Vintage Warmer 2, Slate VBC, Waves... Zebra 2 synth and my beloved 2C-B2 reverb being the most exotic things. This is an incredibly minimal list IMO, all up to date and I'm still getting crashes.

It's under the hood of 12.4... Has to be. In my experience a bad plugin can cause 15+ crashes a day, it becomes wildly unstable
Old 03-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
Check out Bit Wig's 'sand boxing' feature. Basically if a plugin throws an error it doesn't bring your whole system down. While every other DAW developer is innovating Avid is playing catchup and working on 'cloud collaboration' (which I have zero need for)

THE ONLY reason, because Avid is and shouldn't be a publicly traded company 'the cloud' is for shareholders.

Track presets, folders, plugin sandboxing, bug fixes don't sound sexy to wall street. This is Avid's biggest problem. I wish PT could be sold off already to a company that cares and understands the industry and where it's headed.

As for one rouge plugin. Out of frustration I kept only the necessities in my plugin folder:

Sound Toys, NI, Omnisphere 2, Trash 2, PSP Vintage Warmer 2, Slate VBC, Waves... Zebra 2 synth and my beloved 2C-B2 reverb being the most exotic things. This is an incredibly minimal list IMO, all up to date and I'm still getting crashes.

It's under the hood of 12.4... Has to be. In my experience a bad plugin can cause 15+ crashes a day, it becomes wildly unstable
Plug-in sand boxing. Like the sound of that!

I've just done yet anther prefs trash, not that it's making a difference. I've also made sure EVERY plugin is bang up to date. But like you say.... It's PT 12.4. There are just too many people having problems for it to be system related. Plus there is the dreaded noise burst issue which fortunately hasn't affected me touch wood.

As I said, it was working fine for me today until I committed a Stylus RMX track. Then it was non-stop crashes for the rest of the day. Go figure?

Talking of shareholders, any savvy Wall Street analyst must be monitoring these forums. There is barely a positive word to be said about Avid anywhere.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:37 PM

I've never had much faith in trashing preferences because it has so rarely resolved any issue I've been having. Usually whatever the problem was, it eventually got resolved in a subsequent PT update and was probably a bug.

And what bugs me is when people glibly suggest it as a solution at the drop of a hat because it's quite a big job, especially if you need to reset your favourite plug-ins and set them to your user default.

However, out of sheer desperation with PT HD 12.4 crashing 6 or 7 times a day I thought I'd give it a try. I also checked EVERY single plug-in was up to date and PT12 compatible. Before I did ANYTHING I backed up my newly created preferences. (Where is the link to that prefs app BTW?)

For once it made a difference. From Wednesday I went a day and half without a SINGLE crash using a LOT of VIs. Unprecedented for me with 12.4. Then I instantiated Soundtoys Filter Freak, automated the cutoff frequency, deleted an automation breakpoint and PT crashed. It's crashed a few times since, once simply selecting a clip with the Smart Tool. On the whole it has been noticeably more stable though. BUT.... each day since I've been getting progressively more crashes. (N.B. Soundtoys 5 has been a bit flaky for me... it keeps loosing tempo sync with PT.)

I realise it's a bit early to be sure but I'm wondering that if in a few days I'm getting 6/7 crashes a day again, I should just restore the new preference file backup and see if i get some stability back.

In other words, is 12.4 particularly vulnerable to preference file corruption?

Just thinking out loud here.

Maybe 12.5 will... Sorry.... strike that, I mean praying to every god in the known universe that 12.5 fixes stuff, including the noise blasts which mercifully haven't affected me.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Soundtoys never automated properly since day 1. I even talked to them about it at AES 100 years ago. Post is not a priority for them.

I take screenshots of my PT prefs so I can rapidly get back to normal after trashing.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 AM

Since I went to 12.5HD most of the problems I earlier described are gone (access violations errors mostly, pts GUI greying/crashing), probably some code is optimized now? And my NI plugins work better, everything seems more stable.
Anyhow, everybody can start a 12.5 discussion now ;-)

https://www.teejay.nl

https://twitter.com/teejay_studio

https://www.facebook.com/teejaystudio/

https://ac.avid.com/artistcommunity/...74#Profile-TAB
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Thread closed
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I've never had much faith in trashing preferences because it has so rarely resolved any issue I've been having. Usually whatever the problem was, it eventually got resolved in a subsequent PT update and was probably a bug.

And what bugs me is when people glibly suggest it as a solution at the drop of a hat because it's quite a big job, especially if you need to reset your favourite plug-ins and set them to your user default.

However, out of sheer desperation with PT HD 12.4 crashing 6 or 7 times a day I thought I'd give it a try. I also checked EVERY single plug-in was up to date and PT12 compatible. Before I did ANYTHING I backed up my newly created preferences. (Where is the link to that prefs app BTW?)

For once it made a difference. From Wednesday I went a day and half without a SINGLE crash using a LOT of VIs. Unprecedented for me with 12.4. Then I instantiated Soundtoys Filter Freak, automated the cutoff frequency, deleted an automation breakpoint and PT crashed. It's crashed a few times since, once simply selecting a clip with the Smart Tool. On the whole it has been noticeably more stable though. BUT.... each day since I've been getting progressively more crashes. (N.B. Soundtoys 5 has been a bit flaky for me... it keeps loosing tempo sync with PT.)

I realise it's a bit early to be sure but I'm wondering that if in a few days I'm getting 6/7 crashes a day again, I should just restore the new preference file backup and see if i get some stability back.

In other words, is 12.4 particularly vulnerable to preference file corruption?

Just thinking out loud here.

Maybe 12.5 will... Sorry.... strike that, I mean praying to every god in the known universe that 12.5 fixes stuff, including the noise blasts which mercifully haven't affected me.
I take back what I said. Within a couple of days I was getting multiple crashes again and the same with 12.5.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 PM

My M-Audio Oxygen midi controller works with PT 10 but not PT 12 nor does my CDP-120 digital piano. The drivers show up in the device manager and both show up in the list of input devices available for the midi track. Associating the midi track to an Instrument track and selecting and instrument only works if I scribe notes into the midi channel or import a midi file into the track and this will playback.

I have noticed in other daws odd goings on between 32x and 64x software.

Also PT 12 will not close, I have to use the task manager and end task.
This is how things go with Windows 10. My system got updated free from Windows 7 but as an accident. I have an i7 4970K 4 Ghz processor and 32gb of ddr3 ram. Solid state hard drives each for OS and Sound libraries. Samsung 840 Evo 1 Tb I have 7 Tb total 5 drives for storage I use hybrid drives.
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 MB.

Eventually PT will be certified Windows 10. All else appears to work. I made sure my controller was using USB 2.0 I have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 and my Zoom audio interface has midi (5 pin din) in and outs and is 64x USB 3.0.

A midi software tester shows that midi is triggering data from my controllers. As I said I fired up PT 10 and the midi keyboards work.