Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Where's Heat?

I'm still really confused about Heat. I'm on the annual renew plan, and have been since Avid offered it. My subscription renewal was due this week, so I renewed. iLok shows me with an ACTIVE license for Heat. But I can't find Heat anywhere. Its not in my product area on the Avid website, not available with the Avid download app or anywhere else I can find. Why would I have an active license for a product I have no way to download?

Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Where's Heat?

Hi: please check the following.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e.../Where-is-HEAT

Starting in version 11.0, Pro Tools includes HEAT as a System Plug-in (within the Pro Tools Application package) and does not require separate installation.

HEAT is activated when the HEAT iLok license is present on the same iLok as the Pro Tools HD license bundle. (See the HEAT Product Page for more info and a free trial.)
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 10-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Hi: please check the following.

Starting in version 11.0, Pro Tools includes HEAT as a System Plug-in (within the Pro Tools Application package) and does not require separate installation.

HEAT is activated when the HEAT iLok license is present on the same iLok as the Pro Tools HD license bundle. (See the HEAT Product Page for more info and a free trial.)

Except earlier this summer Avid announced Heat is available to subscribers (or at least certain kinds of subscribers) and that HD is no longer required. I have Heat license on the same iLok as my PT subscription license. That's why I'm confused. If Heat is already installed, wouldn't the active license on my iLok activate it? But I don't see Heat anywhere, so I don't understand what's going on.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:47 AM

HEAT is Not included in the Perpetual License (annual plan) only the subscription which stops working if you stop paying.

Second have you activated HEAT inside PT as it is at the bottom of one of the dropdowns. Cant remember now as I am not in my studio but I think it is the 3rd or 4th dropdown from left. Then you will see HEAT at far right of the mixer window and you need to choose to show Heat controls aswell.

Heat is not on any of the plugin tabs as it is gonna be on all audio tracks and from there at the top of each Audio track you can turn it on or off. So activate inside PT on the bottom of a dropdown and show heat then it should work

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
.... I have Heat license on the same iLok as my PT subscription license....
In Pro Tools 2019.6, go to Options>Activate HEAT

If that doesn’t fix it, this worked for others:

Download and install the latest version iLok License Manager from
https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager
Login, then right-click on your HEAT license and choose “Deactivate” (wait for the spinning ball to stop). From “Available” licenses, right-click on your HEAT license and choose “Activate”.
Once this is done, right-click on your iLok and choose “Synchronize”, before relaunching Pro Tools.

Happy HEAT!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 4276 (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 10-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
....HEAT is activated when the HEAT iLok license is present on the same iLok as the Pro Tools HD license bundle...
Just to clarify (please pardon the pedantry!) – “same iLok” does not apply to 2019.6 – though it does apply to all versions prior to 2019.6.
FWIW, I’m running 2019.6 (Native) with HEAT – using 2 iLoks (one iLok with PT 2019.6, the other iLok with PT12.4 HD and HEAT)

So, Avid need to update the KB article “Where is the HEAT installer?”
There is a separate KB article:
“Where Is My Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle and HEAT License?”
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...e-HEAT-License
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 4276 (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 PM

Okay. Thanks guys. I found it!! Now I just have to learn how to best use it.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
...how to best use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
HEAT sounds appropriately subtle when you drop the level of each track down to -20dBFS=0VU or lower with clip-gain and then mix with it on. It doesn't sound good when hitting it any higher than that or after the fact on a mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Clip-gain gives you lots more control over HEAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
....I love HEAT. At first I was using HEAT's tube saturation (drive turned to right / clockwise) but now I set HEAT to tape saturation (drive knob to left / counterclockwise) and it feels more smooth and pleasant....
And the Avid "Download the video" under "AUDIO SAMPLES" from here is worth a look: https://www.avid.com/plugins/heat

Good luck Donald - I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
And the Avid "Download the video" under "AUDIO SAMPLES" from here is worth a look: https://www.avid.com/plugins/heat

Good luck Donald - I'm sure you'll love it!

John, Thanks so much for the comments you posted. Yeah, I can tell already its going to take some finessing. So far, all I've done is just familiarize myself with it. Push it to both extremes with tone both ways just to see how it affects sound on various kinds of tracks. I like Bob's idea of using clip gain to control the input volume for it. That makes some sense.

I've seen the video with Dave Hill a couple of times. He's an interesting guy.

I'm going to go back to some earlier mixes I've done that are finished and then see how it changes them. It'll be fun to play around with for sure!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Is Heat so powerful, so warm? Can it really improve our sound?

There’s plenty of analog emulation plugins out there, what can Heat give more than these plugins?