Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Possible to replace the Mbox with other interf

Oh...I see=) Thanks!

But what about the Digi 002? Does it allow you to use hard bypassing even when you patch in to SPDIF, i.e. bypass the AD coverters? Does it have to do with that it uses firewire?

Would it then work by using an M-Audio Firewire 18/14 for example with LE, instead of my Mbox. I have heard that M-Audio hardware sometimes works with Tools.

And also, to bypass the DA coverters (on the way back) do you simply connect the SPDIF out into your external convereter, and then feed the speakers from there?

Many thanks!

/Rob
Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM

Oh...I see=) Thanks!

But what about the Digi 002? Does it allow you to use hard bypassing even when you patch in to SPDIF, i.e. bypass the AD coverters? Does it have to do with that it uses firewire?

Would it then work by using an M-Audio Firewire 18/14 for example with LE, instead of my Mbox. I have heard that M-Audio hardware sometimes works with Tools.

And also, to bypass the DA coverters (on the way back) do you simply connect the SPDIF out into your external convereter, and then feed the speakers from there?

Many thanks!

/Rob
Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Oh...I see=) Thanks!

Many thanks!

/Rob

Well on the 002 there is no "hardware bypass" for latency since the FW connection allows for much lower native latency levels. I don't own a 002, but on the 001 (and I believe the 002's) there is a "Low Latency" mode (not available on the MBox) that keeps latency pretty darn low. I don't know the exact specs but I always used it for vocals and drum recording.

You can use the M-Audio interfaces only with the M-Audio versions of PTLE. There's more info at www.digidesign.com

And yes, to bypass the DA of the interface, come out the SPDIF to your converter. I think by default the SPDIF out is set to mirror the main outs, and in fact on the MBox that's all it does.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for your help! It's all much clearer now...=)

So would that mean that by investing in the M-Audio version of PTLE and getting a Firewire Interface, my problems would be solved? = No latency when using external Preamp.

Again, thanks a lot!

All the best,

Rob
Old 10-06-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Possible to replace the Mbox with other interf

Just get the Digi002 in my honest opinion and do the setup these helpful guys have told you.