Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Satellite link issues

Hey. We recently installed satellite link on our four pro tools and video satellite dubbing theatre. We are running 8.1 cs2 on a d control and intel macs. The issue we are having is every now and again(ten or more times a day) when we press play on the transport nothing happens. Neither the space bar or play button on d control or GUI will work. The solution is to press rewind and then play again and it works then. It happens on all machines but one more than others. I have deleted prefs and repaired permissions and swapped around the order of the satellites but still have the issue. I'm just wondering has anyone else had this issue and if so how they fixed it! as you can imagine its extremely annoying!

Thanks

Garret
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Satellite link issues

Yes, have the same issue. Basically if you disconnect and reconnect the satellite systems it will begin operating again. Disconnect Slave or Master reconnect press play. Also there's a satellite bug that they STILL haven't fixed yet even though they say they are working on it where you press stop and it goes back to the wrong location (picture-wise) even though the timecode in the transport says something else. Typically it goes back to where you started to play. Avid PLEASE fix these satellite bugs ASAP. I've been waiting for months.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Yes same issue here 'pressing play sees playlight flash but system will not play' -pressing rewind then play is the fastest way to resolve.

Also to stop without having cursor and picture locate back to where play was last started -try pressing the rewind key and not the stop key. This will halt playback and cursor position will update to the location that you stop pressing the rewind key.

All the best

Bruno
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM

Thanks guys
I am also seeing the picture problem. What happens also is that the cursor ends up at the head of the session and you have to refind your position. Glad to hear I'm not the only one but these problems nearly make it in usable.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Avid

Hi All,

I am the software engineer in charge of Satellite Link these days. (Attempting to fill the large shoes left by the esteemed Bob Brown who previously headed up the effort.) Anyhow, I believe I have addressed the issue described here. The bug fix will be made available in the next Pro Tools release. If any of you are beta testers, it would be great to have you try a Beta release when it comes available. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Kyne View Post
Hi All,

I am the software engineer in charge of Satellite Link these days. (Attempting to fill the large shoes left by the esteemed Bob Brown who previously headed up the effort.) Anyhow, I believe I have addressed the issue described here. The bug fix will be made available in the next Pro Tools release. If any of you are beta testers, it would be great to have you try a Beta release when it comes available. Thank you.
Hi Happy,

Or do you prefer Mr. Kyne?

Is Bob Brown no longer at Avid?

I am about to purchase Satellite Link and will using it in Pro Tools 9. What does :
Quote:
The bug fix will be made available in the next Pro Tools release.
mean? A CS release? Or Pro Tools 9.1?

Thanks.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Kyne View Post
The bug fix will be made available in the next Pro Tools release.
great news -thank you

Bruno
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Avid

Mr. Kyne is fyne. "El Jefe" has a nice ring to it. ;-)

We haven't exactly determined when the next release is coming out. But, there will be lots of nice fixes/enhancements. Stay tuned.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Mr. Kyne, I'll toss my woes in here too. Using Video Satellite with HD|Native and monitoring Media Composer audio thru my Omni. When VS is engaged, MC audio becomes 3-4 frames late. None of the offset settings from either PT or MC seem to make any difference.

Otherwise it has changed my life forever (and the production I'm working on!) Love it. Keep those updates coming.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Using Video Satellite with HD|Native and monitoring Media Composer audio thru my Omni.
I'm not quite clear what you mean, but one thing comes to mind. If MC audio is coming from the cpu's sound card, I'm pretty sure there was a known issue that audio from MC through the built in sound card could be out of sync, how much depended I think on system. Audio from an Avid interface would always be correct (on playback not while recording), though. If you are instead saying the latency through Omni is changing when Media Composer is linked, vs. not linked, then, never mind.