Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Control App and Cubase issues

I've been using the Control app with Cubase 10 and for the most part it's been fantastic!

There are, however, a few things that I'd either like to find out how to do, or request as a fix...

I'm on version 2020.11.1.10 and EuCon 4.7.4.10

1. I can't get VCA spill to work either in the app or on the Artist Mix when using Cubase. It's the same with folders...would love this feature!

2. I can't insert effects or sends on the Channel page. Pro Tools will have the corresonding letters showing for the inserts. Cubase should have corresponding numbers 1-8 but the slots are blank.

3. METERS! There is no DB scale up the side of the meter. They never show clipping, RMS, gain reduction and worst of all, the peak level is stuck at 0.0. This renders the meters page absolutely useless!

4. Meters continued...It would be great to have the colour preferences chosen in Cubase (or any DAW) reflected on the meters page. This would really help with integration from a visual perspective.

5. Can you close a plugin from the app?

6. Cubase's Control Room has a Reference Level switch...can't find this in the app, is there an option?

7. If you choose a channel to the right of the one you are on, it will bank the DAW to it's location, even if it's not showing on the mixer currently. If you try and bank to an earlier track i.e. going from track 17 to track 1, the DAW will not follow.

8. Over at Steinberg, they have said that the hidden track issue will be fixed by the end of Q1. Have any of the guys at Avid heard this to be true?

Thanks,
Vex
Old 02-17-2021, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Control App and Cubase issues

VCA Spill will be amazing, especially if it works with Cubase group tracks. Hopefully the hidden channels issue will get resolved and at very least provide a workaround.

I know we're the black sheep out here using AVID controllers with Steinberg DAWs, but there's still no better alternative IMO.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:41 PM

Do you find all the same issues that I've mentioned?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveotero View Post
VCA Spill will be amazing, especially if it works with Cubase group tracks. Hopefully the hidden channels issue will get resolved and at very least provide a workaround.

I know we're the black sheep out here using AVID controllers with Steinberg DAWs, but there's still no better alternative IMO.
In fact, if Steinberg ever solve the 'hidden tracks' issue, we will effectively get VCA Spill because Cubase already has a command called something like 'Show Tracks Connected to Selected Tracks'. Select a VCA, hit that command and it will display only tracks linked to your VCA.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
In fact, if Steinberg ever solve the 'hidden tracks' issue, we will effectively get VCA Spill because Cubase already has a command called something like 'Show Tracks Connected to Selected Tracks'. Select a VCA, hit that command and it will display only tracks linked to your VCA.

It's still a bit of a workaround, much like using layouts, I guess.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Avid

1. This is a Feature Steinberg have to implement
2. This should work, using the config button
3. This is Steinberg but I'm sure they updated their meters recently? CB11?
4. I'm not sure what you mean about this...track colors are shown?
5. The EuControl Pref Close Plugin Window should do this when focusing on another Plugin or Track. There may be a softkey to do this, PT has one.
6. Unfortunately Ref Level isnt plumbed through...we need to add that
7. If the track is already visible then it wont bank
8. This would be great...we have asked for their help on this but havent heard any dates.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
1. This is a Feature Steinberg have to implement
2. This should work, using the config button
3. This is Steinberg but I'm sure they updated their meters recently? CB11?
4. I'm not sure what you mean about this...track colors are shown?
5. The EuControl Pref Close Plugin Window should do this when focusing on another Plugin or Track. There may be a softkey to do this, PT has one.
6. Unfortunately Ref Level isnt plumbed through...we need to add that
7. If the track is already visible then it wont bank
8. This would be great...we have asked for their help on this but havent heard any dates.

Hi Eddie, I've updated the list after your post:

1. I'll get on to Steinberg with this one then.
2. The config button lights up but the slots are still blank and the plugins are not populated in centre section so impossible to add anything.
3. I've checked their website and there's no mention to a fix in Cubase 11. I've also attached an image of the meters so you can see what I mean.
4. I would like the ability to change the colours of the meters instead of having the choice of 'green or blue'. Ideally they would reflect the colour chosen in Cubase preferences.
5. Can't seem to get it to work.
6. I found a soft key for ref level called 'Jump to Rev' in the 'Control Room' page. Like you say, just needs the ability to plumb it in to the monitoring page.
7. Noted. Thanks.

Thanks for your help so far, hopefully we can sort the remaining points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg control app meters.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Vex One; 02-18-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Avid

You are right, config seems broken...checking it out and the meter ticks thing.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex One View Post
It's still a bit of a workaround, much like using layouts, I guess.
Not so sure about that....

Layouts are a very time consuming workaround for the Cubase/Eucon 'hiding tracks' issue involving lots and lots of mouse clicking. But what I'm talking about more or less will replicate VCA Spill with a single button press on your Eucon controller.... ....if, that is, Steinberg would ever FOR THE LOVE OF GOD allow us to hide tracks on our control surface! 😁
Old 02-18-2021, 01:07 PM

Fingers crossed Steinberg stick to their word and we have a fix before the end of Q1!

P.S. Have you tried organising layouts through the 'Tracks' page in the app? It's a lot faster than clicking in the Eucon software.