Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 AM

Default Best Tablets for the Avid S1 & Dock

Hey Guys!
Hope you are all well and getting plenty of work!

I have decided to take the plunge and get and Avid S1 and Pro Tools Dock for my home studio.

After looking online trying to find the perfect tablets to fit both the S1 and Dock, I thought I would post here to see what the general consensus is?

My initial thoughts are:

1. iPads are rather expensive but if they fit perfectly I will invest.
2. Are there any images that show any kind of side by side comparisons of tablets to assist with choosing the right one.
3. Regarding aesthetics are there any issues to be aware of as some tablets are smaller than others I would really like a uniformed look and for the faders and meterbridge to line up as much as possible.
4. The S1 and Dock appear to sit at slightly different angles? Is there a way to resolve this?

Any advice and/or images would be greatly appreciated, for those with existing setups please feel free to post images.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Best Tablets for the Avid S1 & Dock

I haven't found any reason not to recommend the Fire HD10. As you say, it would be nice if the tablet matched the width of the S1 better but now that I've had some time with mine I would not pay for an iPad Pro just to scratch that itch. iPad Pros are filled with so many bells and whistles that would be completely redundant if its main use is as a companion to your S1. One advantage of the Fire HD10 is its letterbox dimensions mean less wasted vertical space on your desk, and a shorter reflective surface.

If you get the FireHD you can use this Windows app to remove all the Amazon bloatware and turn it into a minimal, friendly Android tablet:
Amazon Fire Toolbox
Old 07-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Here's a photo of my desktop. That's also a fire tablet running the Control app to the left of the monitor remote.

I would like to get an additional S1 and have them directly in front of me but I'll need to completely rebuild the desk to accommodate that. A project for future me.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Thank you JingleDjango images really helps me get an idea of the best possible options, I think I am now sold on the configuration of an S1 with a FireHD 10.
Does anyone have pictures of their tablets in the PT Dock too?
I guess if I have the S1 and dock either side of my desk similar to yours instead of together I won’t be bothered by the slight differences in build?
Old 07-16-2020, 07:54 AM

I went with a couple Samsung Tab A tablets for my S1’s and the iPad Pro for the Dock. I wanted something with a little better processing power than the FireHD. I also didn’t want to deal with the Amazon App Store and bloatware. The Tab A is a nice, fast tablet that isn’t much more than the Fire HD if you can find it on sale.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 AM

The Fire HD 10 is a great option for the S1 since its only a meter bridge and the tablets extra width in landscape helps fill the S1. However, the aspect ratio is a little weird in portrait mode on the Dock. And portrait mode on Dock is your only option for this tablet.

Id opt for at least an entry level ipad pro for the Dock as this is your center section and having a modern and responsive device here is a good idea.

My current setup is

1x Dock with iPad Air
2x S1 with Fire HD 10
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM

I’ve just got an S1 , which is now sitting next to my Dock. I don’t feel the need for a screen yet. One of my computer screens sits over the top of it very nicely now.
Are you finding the S1 screen useful ?

Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com
Old 07-17-2020, 05:34 PM

The #1 thing I use the screen for is to identify what automation mode each channel is on before I start riding faders. The meters are useful as well of course. I hope they'll add more touch functionality for the S1 paired tablets, like being able to spill folder tracks by tapping the folder icon in the track header, modifying group properties, or maybe a little transport at the bottom of the screen would be handy. There's a lot that it could be useful for but right now it's not 100% needed.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:34 AM

in addition to automation mode, I also find the EQ overview useful, also having more color to remembering which layout of VCA spill Im in.

I most definitely reference the tablet on the S1 more than the LCD.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:04 PM

I wound up getting a Huawei T5 for my Dock. It's slightly smaller than an old iPad gen 2 that I was initially using.

In the landscape position, the T5 is slightly shorter but slightly wider. In terms of screen space, the T5 is about 8mm shorter but about 21mm wider. I prefer the wider screen on the Dock.

PT2023 on 2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
Apollo X8P & Twin Quad Mk2, UAD Octo Satellite, Avid Dock, Avid S1, Console 1, Digi002, 2016 MacBook Pro running PT2020