Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-14-2021, 12:14 PM

Default Can we fix the monitoring screen on the Control app?

Ergonomically, it seems entirely backwards to me. Obviously some of it has been implemented in a way that aligns functions with buttons on the dock, but it feels like all of the functions I use the most are tiny little buttons and knobs... while the functions I use the least occupy the majority of the screen.

Like the big black empty square in the middle. I probably assign monitoring sources once every six months. Why dedicate so much screen real estate to such a function, while also making the talk and cut buttons a quarter of the size of my finger tip, and the volume knobs smaller than a penny? Likewise with the speaker select buttons. Do we really need to be scrolling to access them all when the majority of the screen is sitting empty? And WHAT. ON. EARTH is "Lwfrq.ffct"? Surely LFE is the widely accepted acronym?

Come on Avid. For a page that ties directly to incredibly high quality interfaces like the MTRX and MTRX studio, as well as being central to the functionality of the dock... it's all a bit of an amateur hour kludge. The whole page sings "made by a computer programmer who has never used it for audio".
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Can we fix the monitoring screen on the Control app?

Strange choices indeed…
Refresh could very well be on the roadmap, I guess, because of the (probable) way it was initially brought to Standard Eucon, from Pro Eucon :
I suppose you use a tablet with S1/Dock, but let’s try it on a smartphone, as the behavior is even more obvious :
Put it on on portrait mode : proportions, sizes and positions are ok… or at least way more logical than in landscape (landscrap?) mode…
Landscape is indeed not logical, or at least not for every use, and there are other tablets than iPad, with various proportions, putting that page to even more misery !

Question : any chance it would be related to the fact that an S4/6 MTM is Portrait only (and logically layouted by the way)
Problem : Monitoring in Standard Eucon is used on Tablets S1/Dock in… Landscape mode !

So… designers ? Maybe a customizable refresh page with choices left to users (custom view for key functions and/or elements ?)
Various Tablets sizes and proportions, too different from the MTM size, and mostly way smaller than an MTM, I think those are some reasons why that monitoring page suffers from a fixed layout right now.
But again, roadmap ? (I hope)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 PM

I am using it with the dock with a Samsung tablet. The table fits really nicely in landscape mode. Perhaps I'll try it in portrait and see if it is any better.

Does any of the monitoring functionality even occur on the touch screen of the S6. There are dedicated Main, Alt1 and Alt2 buttons and volume knobs just below the touchscreen, with the source & speaker selections and fold downs programmable via the automation modules. I just access them by the default shift plus "." shortcut on S6 number pad.

Even then, it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity not to make a lot of it programmable. It would be great if the main, Alt1 and Alt2 buttons allowed multiple Eucon commands. Stuff like main = 5.1 system, Alt1 = stereo system with 5.1->2.0 fold down, Alt2 = auratone with 5.1->mono fold down. Currently it seems like you either need to press multiple buttons, or program your own keys on the automation module and completely ignoring the dedicated main, alt1 and alt2 buttons entirely.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:12 PM

I don’t think it’s gonna be usable in portrait mode, though, but you might find the layout more logical in portrait mode.
(It’s just to give a clue about how and why it’s like that right now, but I wouldn’t want to work like that)

As with the MTM, ProMon is supposed to host multiple monitoring softwares, so there is the compatibility issue, maybe. Same is true for Standard Eucon.
I do the same as you from time to time regarding speakers & monitors, but the touchscreen monitoring section is also very useful to do exactly that if you need to keep your subpages intact on master and auto soft keys…
Layout seems logical and well balanced to me in the Mon page on the MTM.
(Portrait only, fixed and known proportions, big enough to do a clear layout)

You can still program Macros to get specific source in specific speaker with said foldown with just one soft key, but you cannot assign that to the Main / Alt 1 2 unfortunately…
The very strange (bad ?) move in there that annoys me, if I may add, is the useless double Mute function !
There is a Mute bouton, so why on earth does the Main Level Knob do "Mute" when pushed ?!? Instead of a very much missing "Calibrated" ?
It’s a pain to get the level to 0.0 manually, especially when OPT/ALT + Main Level doesn’t work either… (sorry, not the subject)

Back to Standard Eucon, Monitoring page is usable on an iPad but I’ve indeed seen strange layouts on 16/9 tablets, for instance… and as it’s the first version of that new monitoring page, I think/hope it will get better in the future…
Old 02-17-2021, 12:35 PM

+1 on this.

The Monitoring page could be a lot better. I'd like the main volume slider/knob to be a lot bigger with a reset to 0.0 feature.

There is no Reference Level switch (like dim but you set the level yourself).

RTA graphs or loudness metering would be useful as well.

Last edited by Vex One; 02-18-2021 at 01:08 PM.