Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Strike missing beats and playing wierd stuff!!

Hi everyone,

I've been using Strike for a while now and am pretty happy with the quality of sound and the tweakability, but I've come across a wierd issue lately and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this. Did a search and found a few Strike issues, but nothing on this specific one. I’m using cs2 with content expansion installed.

When I audition preset patterns using the keyboard on the Strike interface, they play back fine. However, when the patterns are triggered in a song using MIDI notes in an instrument track, I'm starting to notice two issues:

1 – When “Jam” is turned on at any level, drum fills sometimes miss the first beat that is supposed to be played. This is hit or miss during playback, and doesn’t seem to be affected by any of the options in the Strike configuration window (i.e. beat sync, fill retriggering, etc.) When I turn Jam off completely the fills play properly, but this is unfortunate – I want Jam on for a little bit of variation in the patterns.

2 – Even though a standard pattern is supposed to be playing and there are no other MIDI notes triggering anything else on the instrument track piano roll, Strike will throw in extra hits here and there that don’t even sound like they’re coming from the same kit – for example, a really out of phase/crappy sounding crash. Again, when I sample the pattern from the Strike interface, it plays back fine. I’ve tried turning Jam completely off, setting complexity at 0, and changing the intensity values. I’ve tried every combination of configuration property including “crash after fill,” “polyphony,” and “oversampling” with no luck.

I noticed that when I first started working on this particular track and the CPU load wasn’t great, the problem wasn’t happening. It was only when I started adding tracks and the CPU load went up that these problems started cropping up. I figured Strike might be sensitive to CPU load, so I made all other tracks inactive and tried play back – same deal! What’s going on here?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Audiorayne
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Strike missing beats and playing wierd stuff!!

Have had similar issues myself. It all starts for me when trying to load a rhythm preset and I get the dreaded "can't load due to memory, blah, blah, blah", and i've got a quad core work horse running an HD2 system (3GB RAM) and I have to go in and reduce a bunch of the instruments to ECO so they will load. Then it will start missing beats like you mentioned. Plus, every once in while all my tracks will spike to overload, and hold there, until I exit the session and come back in. Thank heavens that no sound goes to the speakers when this happens. This only happens when I have Strike up and running. No other VI has done this....

I, like yourself, am stumped.

Jeff
Richmond, IN, 47374
1-800-704-7648 (Ext. 220)
765-914-5062
jervin@odiscs.com

Old 03-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Hey Jeff, thanks for your input. Looks like I might just have to go to tech support for this one.

These issues are frustrating, so I hope you get yours sorted out too!

Cheers,
-AR
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 AM

AR,

Better luck to you than I have had in dealing with them. I love their stuff, but I don't think they like crticism too much. I trashed their Cue Input thinking on the new C24, sent emails etc., trying to get an answer on a problem. And nothing....actually talking about Digidesign in general and not the AIR group. Don't know if they are separate or not.

Will keep an eye on this thread, let us know if you get anywhere with them.

Jeff
Richmond, IN, 47374
765-914-5062
jervin@odiscs.com

Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
AR,

Better luck to you than I have had in dealing with them. I love their stuff, but I don't think they like crticism too much. I trashed their Cue Input thinking on the new C24, sent emails etc., trying to get an answer on a problem. And nothing....actually talking about Digidesign in general and not the AIR group. Don't know if they are separate or not.

Will keep an eye on this thread, let us know if you get anywhere with them.

Jeff
Jeff -

Where did you send emails to, exactly? I'm not seeing any tech support request emails from your email address - did you possibly use a different address than the one in your profile?

I'm in contact with the AIR group and will have a reply to the rest of this post shortly....
Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM

I went to the support page of the Digidesign web site, used a technical support request form, and sent my question/concern via that direction. I don't want to hijack AR's thread with my issues, so if you want me to get into specifics about the request, send an email to the address on the signature line.

Many thanks....
Richmond, IN, 47374
765-914-5062
jervin@odiscs.com