Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Default AGAIN: Pref for edits & Playlists/Hidden tracks

Can we please have a preference that makes edits affect underlying playlists and hidden tracks?? This can't be that hard to implement. I know there's workarounds, but imagine the best workaround you know in this scenario:

I have a live show with 6 different artists. It's a double CD. The whole show is in one session, over 3 hours of music. I've got to mix it all and cut it down to fit on two CD's

All the artists came in and did lead vocal fixes and alternate takes, so each of the "studio vocal" tracks have multiple playlists. So let's be conservative and say 10 takes times 6 vocalists or 60 tracks of vocals. I comp those on a comp track for each artist and put that beside each live vocal track.

Now I have to edit, take out dead space between songs, take out choruses, take out whole songs that aren't making the final list, rearrange songs. OOPS, didn't put all those playlists on REAL audio tracks, so now if the artist wants me to use an alternate line, good luck finding it. It will be 10 minutes out of sync, out of order. The best way I've found is to save a session as PRE EDITS so I can go back to that, recomp a vocal, and then import the vocal track (and usually the click track) back to the latest session.

SAME problem if you forget to UNhide all the tracks in the track list.

Having to copy and paste each playlist to a real audio track (especially 60 of them) is a real pain, not to mention making the edit/mix window a scrolling nightmare. ON the last project I did, I had alternate drum takes as well. That's 12 or so tracks per take. I know for SOME reason the post guys don't want edits to affect playlists. GREAT. Just give us an option. I want all my recorded audio to stay with the session that's on top, that I'm working on. Please and Thanks!
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: AGAIN: Pref for edits & Playlists/Hidden tracks

Amen!

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm just going to bump this one time. I'm just hoping that Digi will see it, add it to the feature request list. Then I'll just wait until the next project to ask for it again.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-13-2006, 01:16 PM

DIGI,
please also add shortcuts for changing the playlists !!!

Make " the ability to create playlists is one of the most powerful features of Pro Tools, and one reason why it is infinitely more versatile than traditional multitrack recorders (p.236 of the reference guide)" - feature becomes really professional regarding handling & workflow !

I would it love to become able to work fast with playlists when I have to edit classical recordings with more than 600 cuts...

http://www.4tune.at
Old 03-13-2006, 07:23 PM

digi: pretty please? with sugar on top...

(and, for the record, i too would really love a key command shortcut for selecting/scrolling through playlists.)
Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Shortcuts for changing playlists is a BIG one.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 AM

But the BIGGEST one for me is the edit thing. A feature to let us actually edit all the audio tracks in our session (which is the intuitive thing you would expect) and keep everything in sync, ALWAYS, hidden tracks and ALL UNDERLying playlists. A preference button would be the thing to have Pro Tools act like it does now (although I still can't really understand why you would not want all your tracks to stay in sync during "ALL" track edits).

I'll take the switch playlist short cut thing as well, but if I had to choose...well, see above.

Digi, is this being considered? I and others have been asking about this one for at least a couple of years.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 AM

What about one more feature regarding playlists ?

When we could have one automation playlist set per audio playlist we would be able to have REAL mixer snapshots !
(switching these snapshots by shortcuts of course )

Just dreaming....

http://www.4tune.at