Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Default HD Native -9219 Errors

Been getting pretty regular -9129 errors since upgrading to HD | Native a few months back. I've been trying to nail down a cause but to no avail. At first I thought it had something to do with incompatible video codecs, but it's now happening even in sessions where I have no video track at all! It's very random, a session will stop with the error in a certain spot once, but then play back through the same section fine every other time, only to stop and pop up a (-9129) at some other random point in the session. So it's never directly reproducible, but it pops up often, like a couple times an hour often. It can happen in a session with a single stereo track and nothing else, so it doesn't seem to relate at all to how hard the computer is working.

For the record (since I couldn't find any trace of this error number anywhere else in the DUC), the full text of the error message is:

Quote:
"Audio processing could not complete due to conflicts with other CPU tasks or a potential clocking issue. If this occurs often, verify your sync cables or try changing the HW Buffer Size setting in the Playback Engine dialog. In most cases a larger HW buffer size will prevent the problem. (-9129)"
I always run at 1024 buffer, so increasing that isn't an option. I've tried toggling/changing every other setting in the playback engine dialog and nothing there helps the issue. I have no other software running, and no plug-ins active in the session. I've trashed prefs, re-installed PT, tried different hard drives, CPU settings, DAE buffers, nothing seems to be related as the error will pop up regardless.

I've actually decided to move up to an HD3 rig b/c I've decided Native isn't reliable enough for my needs (can't have the music rig dropping out of playback a couple times an hour for no reason during a dub mix), but was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue, I'm hoping it doesn't continue to appear once I go TDM.

-----

2008 Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8-core 16bg RAM / Mac OS 10.6.6 / Pro Tools HD Native 9.01 / HD Omni IO
Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Default Re: HD Native -9219 Errors

Are you using all 8 processors? If so try using 1 less in the Playback engine.

My HD Native supposed to be arriving today....
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Same problem here, the error message is the same but i have seen error -9092 in this message as well.

I have almost the same hardware as you do, MacPro 2.8 8-core, 10GB RAM, HD OMNI running PT 9.0.2.

The error appears randomly, i've tried changing number of cores (7,6,5) and i thought for a while it helped. I can work for hours and suddenly i get the error several times i a row, minutes, sometimes seconds apart.

If someone has more infos on this please post it, this is getting really annoying.

Regards
Bertrand
Old 03-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Just an update -

Swapped out my Native card for an HD3 setup today.

-9129 Errors have disappeared, at least as far as I can tell. Been using TDM all day and haven't seen a single one, and usually I'd have had 10 or more pop up by now.

I also noticed I'm now able to run other CPU hungry apps in the background again like I used be able to do with PTLE (but couldn't with HD Native as I'd get insta-errors upon hitting play). I'm guessing Native must have a much higher CPU overhead than LE or TDM, not sure why, but I'm much happier now w/o the constant -9129, that's for sure.

And FWIW @ midnightrambler - I had tried every combination of # and % of CPUs in the playback engine on Native and nothing stopped the -9129's from appearing.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 AM

Well, lucky you, i can't just get an HD rig like that, my wife would kill me ;-)

I forgot to mention that i also get occasional errors regarding clocking source, don't remember the exact message. I have a Focusrite Octopre II that i hooked up with two lightpipes into the adat-inputs with Omni set to internal, being master and the Octopre slave. Maybe this has also an impact.

I guess i have to sit it out, i am (luckily) not a commercial studio, otherwise i would have to take action. I will shurely get an UAD card as soon as the plugins are real RTAS, and maybe i get a newer MacPro to have more power, altough in my opinion my Mac should be fast enough.

Hopefully Digi is acting on this.

Regards
Bertrand
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Yeah I've had these occasionally. I can't work out what's causing it because often I go weeks without one. I had a suspicion that it might be something to do with having system sounds set to use digi hardware.

Weirdly I had one session which wouldn't play at all without putting the error up. I had to change the loop sync cable to get it working. That was a surprise but it did fix it.

Something causes these errors...a plug in, a background task etc. It's certainly not related to pro tools 'load' as I run huge sessions where it never happens, and very light ones when it does.

It has never caused a crash and goes away for days at a time.

Weird. I do see that these errors were common with LE. Perhaps tech support could comment on that?

I will say though, that my native system is more reliable under load than my g5 hd3 despite this.

HD native, 8 core westmere, 10.6, pt 9.02 (since today)

J
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Just an update -

Swapped out my Native card for an HD3 setup today.

-9129 Errors have disappeared, at least as far as I can tell. Been using TDM all day and haven't seen a single one, and usually I'd have had 10 or more pop up by now.

I also noticed I'm now able to run other CPU hungry apps in the background again like I used be able to do with PTLE (but couldn't with HD Native as I'd get insta-errors upon hitting play). I'm guessing Native must have a much higher CPU overhead than LE or TDM, not sure why, but I'm much happier now w/o the constant -9129, that's for sure.

And FWIW @ midnightrambler - I had tried every combination of # and % of CPUs in the playback engine on Native and nothing stopped the -9129's from appearing.
HD3 rules. But like he said, I am not a bank lol

TH
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM

A week later and I haven't had a single -9129 since switching from Native to TDM.

Definitely seems to be something up with Native, too bad Avid doesn't feel like chiming in.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:14 AM

How long did you have your native card? Did your dealer credit the full amount to the hd 3 cards?I was going to go with a hd3 but opted for the native card.jz
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
How long did you have your native card? Did your dealer credit the full amount to the hd 3 cards?I was going to go with a hd3 but opted for the native card.jz
Had the Native card for about 3 months. Still have it, deciding whether to sell it or keep it on hand for a 2nd rig down the line. Got the TDM cards off the buy/sell forum here, I wouldn't pay dealer prices for TDM, even with trade-ins it's still crazy expensive.