Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Building for an 10HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Depends on your budget. If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend this.

Thanks... What's your opinion on the difference between this and the Omni. Cost of used Omni is the same as the SPL 2Control.
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Protools 7
4 Internal 4TB Drives

Last edited by CDobby; 12-21-2018 at 06:14 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 12-21-2018, 06:38 AM

SPL is pure analog device and sounds great
Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
SPL is pure analog device and sounds great
Great I will Check it out. Quick Question Earlier you stated that Ultimate comes with 10HD, Will it work with El Capitan?
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Protools 7
4 Internal 4TB Drives
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDobby View Post
Ultimate comes with 10HD, Will it work with El Capitan?
I would trust PT10 system requirements but usually one or possibly two releases further "may" be functional, but your mileage may vary
Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Great I will Check it out. Quick Question Earlier you stated that Ultimate comes with 10HD, Will it work with El Capitan?
Like I wrote earlier - PT10 won't work right with El Crapitan (search here for PT10 trying to be run on anything higher than OSX 10.9.5). Assuming you want to stay on the worst OSX Apple ever unleashed on the public you're going to need PT11 or higher. Please see the chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Solution:
Dump El Crapitan and get a more modern OSX or backdate your computer to OSX 10.9.5. You don't say what specific MacPro you have and that would be helpful to be able to help you further.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 PM

AFAIK, you do NOT get 10HD with a new software purchase. You must be upgrading from a 10HD to get iLok assets fr 10/11/12/2018.x

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
AFAIK, you do NOT get 10HD with a new software purchase. You must be upgrading from a 10HD to get iLok assets fr 10/11/12/2018.x
If the op's sig file is correct he already has PT7 - would that allow him to get a PT10 HD upgrade? And even if he was able to do that that OSX he's running won't ever work right with PT10.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 12-22-2018 at 04:21 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 12-22-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like I wrote earlier - PT10 won't work right with El Crapitan (search here for PT10 trying to be run on anything higher than OSX 10.9.5). Assuming you want to stay on the worst OSX Apple ever unleashed on the public you're going to need PT11 or higher. Please see the chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Solution:
Dump El Crapitan and get a more modern OSX or backdate your computer to OSX 10.9.5. You don't say what specific MacPro you have and that would be helpful to be able to help you further.
Reverting to 10.9.5 isnt a bad thing. I actually have 2 bootable drives in my CPU, which is a MacPro5,1.

My other option is to use My Apollo Quad as my main DSP and add a OCT Card and run Protools 12 or buy 2018 Ultimate. Thoughts?
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Protools 7
4 Internal 4TB Drives
Old 12-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Darryl,

Thanks for your response. As far as the Omni, I was told that I needed it for monitor control for the HD system and I couldn't use my current apogee duet or UA Apollo Quad firewire. And Yes my Apollo Quad has ADAT/SMUX in and out.

A friend has a 96 I/O he doesn't use and I saw 192 that is Configured for 8ch
analog in/out, 16ch digital in/out. To be honest Im embarrassed to say that i'm learning what all of that means. All I know that when ever i have mixed and recorded at a bigger studio with HD the sound quality was a lot better! Albeit they had other units in the mix as well!

What I am trying to achieve is a HD system for home mixing and recording. The most I will record live would be 16 tracks at home. This setup is more to complete the mix that is recorded anywhere.

Lastly, I know that Protools 10 HD is the highest I can go with this system which is fine for the time being! In regards to PCIe Cards I have a Core Card and 2 Accel cards.
Just getting back to this.

I'm still not sure if you are doing all this for the right reasons.

Pro Tools HD does not sound any better than modern native or HDX systems. There are lots of interfaces that offer as good or better conversion to these, even the latest HD IO box. And HD TDM processing is not state of the art, modern native and HDX 32-bit/64-bit floating point processing is clearly a better environment than the fixed bit processing used in HD TDM. The only reasons that TDM is really superior to native processing is for low-latency tracking, especially though TDM plugins.

If you have studios you are working with that are going to give you sessions from Pro Tools 10HD that use TDM plugins, and especially if you want to round-trip/collaborate with the source of those sessions then maybe it makes more sense. But pay attention to what TDM plugins you may need there.

As for what is included in Pro Tools HD upgrades etc. and what is eligible for upgrades (I would be surprised if Pro Tools 7 is) the best thing to do there is contact Sweetwater or VintageKing sales and ask them.

I'd be thinking this through carefully, HD/TDM may not be the best choice. I'd prefer to avoid old Pro Tools HD and would want to get on current Pro Tools standard, and instead of spending money on Ultimate or HD licenses putting that towards a UAD Apollo X or similar modern interface (OK that one requires a Thunderbolt 3 capable computer).
Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Reverting to 10.9.5 isnt a bad thing. I actually have 2 bootable drives in my CPU, which is a MacPro5,1.

My other option is to use My Apollo Quad as my main DSP and add a OCT Card and run Protools 12 or buy 2018 Ultimate. Thoughts?
You have choices:
Dump El Crapitan and backdate to OSX 10.9.5 if you really need for some masochistic reason to run PT10.

Dump El Crapitan and got to Sierra/High Sierra to run PT12/2018.

Third is to once again dump EC, go to Mojave (depending on your exact video card as Mojave needs a Metal compatible card) and hope Avid certifies PT 2018 for Mojave.

Think about this: do you really need PT HD? Unless it's for more than 32 I/O or certain features in HD it isn't necessary especially given today's converters are a lot better than the old stuff.

QAPLA!