How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Aux reverb track

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
That means you probably have Low-Latency Monitoring enabled. Disable it from the Options menu.
I did and that resolved it: thank you. I was under the impression that one should always use LLM and have the H/W buffer size set to 64 (or the lowest available). Is this incorrect?

Quote:
Even with LLM enabled, you should hear the reverb on playback as long as the vocal track is not armed for record.
When the vocal track is not armed to record I hear nothing, regardless of whether LLM is enabled. I just noticed you said on playback--I haven't recorded anything yet on this track.

Quote:
With LLM disabled, the sends will be active during recording so you will hear the verb on recording and playback, even if the vocal track is armed for record.
How can you hear it dry on playback? I only want that reverb for the 'talent,' on the cue mix.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post
I did and that resolved it: thank you. I was under the impression that one should always use LLM and have the H/W buffer size set to 64 (or the lowest available). Is this incorrect?
Kinda, LLM is weird. For your situation it would be better to turn it off and just monitor through the interface - MBOX has a dedicated mixer control panel where you can do zero-latency monitoring, regardless of the LLM setting in Pro Tools. You have to mute the recording tracks (or set the record fader to -inf)

Now that I think about it, MBOX 3 has a reverb in its own mixer. It might be worthwhile setting that up for the cue mix, that way you can keep LLM on and not have to futz around with Pro Tools. If I recall correctly, you can assign it to whatever stereo pair you want, so it should work fine if you want to send reverb only to outputs 3-4.

Quote:
How can you hear it dry on playback? I only want that reverb for the 'talent,' on the cue mix.
Instead of using a send to Bus 3-4 on the reverb return track, remove the send and assign the reverb return's output to Bus 3-4. You'll want to solo-safe the reverb return track too, so you don't accidentally mute it when soloing something else.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Kinda, LLM is weird. For your situation it would be better to turn it off and just monitor through the interface - MBOX has a dedicated mixer control panel where you can do zero-latency monitoring, regardless of the LLM setting in Pro Tools. You have to mute the recording tracks (or set the record fader to -inf)
So should I disable host controller in the MBox setup? Last week I did some tests using LLM and reverb on the MBox--without this aux rack at all--that seemed pretty workable, as you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Instead of using a send to Bus 3-4 on the reverb return track, remove the send and assign the reverb return's output to Bus 3-4. You'll want to solo-safe the reverb return track too, so you don't accidentally mute it when soloing something else.
I will try this and post again tomorrow. Thanks for all of your excellent guidance.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
So should I disable host controller in the MBox setup
Host control only allows Pro Tools to control the first stereo mix; you're using the second one (outputs 3-4) for your cue mix. You can safely disable it if you do all your routing in PT. But if you plan to keep LLM and use the MBOX built-in reverb, you should not disable it.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
But if you plan to keep LLM and use the MBOX built-in reverb, you should not disable it.
This is what I did last week: I had a cue mix set up, but no aux track. For my purposes that seemed much simpler. I left LLM enabled and added reverb to the the cue mix on the MBox only.

Thanks again for all you help.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Re LLM, if your rig will track at the 64 buffer, you don't need LLM Since LLM was broken for a time(back in PT9) I just stopped wishing for it and tracked with the 64 buffer, and never had any issues. My new rig will work all day at 32 LLM is really more for a system that can't run a low buffer(underpowered computer, or maybe you need a last-minute overdub on a huge session that is taxing the limits of your system).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Re LLM, if your rig will track at the 64 buffer, you don't need LLM: My new rig will work all day at 32...LLM is really more for a system that can't run a low buffer(underpowered computer, or maybe you need a last-minute overdub on a huge session that is taxing the limits of your system).
Good to know--thanks.

Out of curiosity, what's the system requirement for a 32 buffer?

My rig is Intel Core i7 930@ 2.80 GHz, 24 GB RAM, and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. My session files are on a WD Caviar Black internal 2 GB HDD.

Last edited by dg27; 02-24-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Good to know--thanks.

Out of curiosity, what's the system requirement for a 32 buffer?

My rig is Intel Core i7 930@ 2.80 GHz, 24 GB RAM, and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. My session files are on a WD Caviar Black internal 2 GB HDD.
I run HD/Native in my setup. It was installed in an i7 950 rig, not to different from yours(only 12GB of RAM though). 32 buffer was available, but I never tried to actually use it. In my quest to move to 11(for the 64 bit benefit), the old rig never lived up to its performance in 10, so I held off and saved my pennies. 4 months ago I built a "budget" 6 core with some good eBay scores and made an i7 3930K/X79 rig with 32GB of RAM(the single most expensive part) and runs the "bejesus" out of 11. It never recurred to me to try the 32 buffer until I had a 70+ track session nearly mixed, with a boatload of plugins, including a bunch of UAD stuff, which all has over 1100 samples of latency. Suddenly the artist decides he needs to record another vocal part and I'm looking at the screen all the plugins and the latency and going cross-eyed thinking of all the plugins I need to disable for latency....Then I decided, "what the hey, let's see what happens"? Set the 32 buffer(left every plugin going, including 9 amp sims) hit record and he sang his new part. Stopped a few times for punches and quick edits and finished up without a single hiccup. Imagine the stupid grin I had

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Great story--thanks for sharing.