How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Default iLok Flipper - Plugin Stress Reliever

Hi Folks,

Here is a small simple app that may have some use for some people.

My main studio business runs on an installed Mac Pro, but often I will be at a gig elsewhere and have to use one of my MacBook Pro's for work. Often, I will need to boot an app such as FCP, Ableton or Reaper for some small edit or large multitrack record that doesn't require any third party plugin.

The issue is that I need to connect my iLok Dongle otherwise I will be faced with dozens of individual dialogue boxes alerting me to the fact I have no authorisation. Usually this is impossible (as the dongles are connected to a Pro Tools rig) or inconvenient (I have already used up my USB ports on the machine with Audio Interfaces).

So I have made a small app that renames the AU and VST plug folders so as to prevent these apps seeing them. The result is the apps do not load the plugs, and the apps boot must faster. Running the app again toggles this renaming then opens the plugs directory at the conclusion to indicate the current state.

The app will require you to authenticate as these directories are not in your home path. You can check what the app is doing by "Show Package Contents". In there you will see a tiny apple script that loads a Bash Shell script that just checks for the current folder name and renames accordingly.

You can download the iLok Flipper.app here.

Note: Remember to put the folders back to their default state before installing any new plugs, otherwise you will need to spend some time combining the folders.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Tony David Cray
Old 01-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Re: iLok Flipper - Plugin Stress Reliever

This is great. It always gets pretty frustrating when i'm trying to refresh or open something on my laptop and I get notified that I don't have authorization for my Slate and Soundtoys plugins because I don't have my iLok with me. Going to check this out. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-06-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Re: iLok Flipper - Plugin Stress Reliever

Dang I need that for my windows machines