Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luy View Post
.....even if Avid goes bankrupt (probably the best that can happen)
Definitely my preference at this point.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM

This makes so much sense all of a sudden:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...VW11178524.htm
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 18.59.12.png (64.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM

Well, this change in direction and push for a subscription model for vanilla Pro Tools customers definitely came from the very top - what I find laughable is what Jeff Rosica said in a Sonicscoop interview not long after he was appointed as the new CEO:

“I’d say, first of all, as the new president and CEO, I plan on continuing to build a really strong company that will bring the customer community even more to the forefront of the company.”

I highly doubt the recent pricing changes have the customer community’s interest at heart, nor does it show how it brings that community “to the forefront of the company”... very hypocritical.

The rest of the interview doesn’t get any better:

https://sonicscoop.com/2018/07/30/wh...eo-jeff-rosica
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM

... and whilst DUC officially represents the community, this thread has lost the stats (apparently due to being moved?) that determine its ranking in the PT2019 forum and would currently position it at the top of the first page.

Does this normally occur for a moved post?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:17 PM

Just to be clear...... if you have a perpetual lic and if you stop playing the annual update and support plan.... PT isn’t going to STOP working!!! that is just nonsense even Avid has restated this as recently as 28th May 2919. So let’s stop the fake news if you have a perpetual lic then you DON’T have a subscription plan/rental where as at the end of the contract it’ll stop working....

Avid Knowledge Base
Pro Tools Licensing: What is the difference between perpetual and subscription licenses

Last Updated : May 28, 2019
Products Affected : Pro Tools, Pro Tools HD, Pro Tools Ultimate

If I purchase the yearly subscription paid monthly will I own Pro Tools at the end of the year? In other words, is there a financing option?

A perpetual license (included with upgrade plans) is a license that does not expire. It continues to authorize Pro Tools even if you do not renew your plan.

A subscription license expires after a specific term (1 month or 1 year). Subscriptions can be set to auto-renew (see the option listed with your subscription in my.avid.com) which refreshes the expiration date of the license in your iLok account and continues to provide installers via your Avid account.

Subscriptions can be considered similar to rental licenses. Your monthly subscription payments do not contribute towards ownership of the software. Purchase of the perpetual product is required to own the Pro Tools license outright.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
... and whilst DUC officially represents the community, this thread has lost the stats (apparently due to being moved?) that determine its ranking in the PT2019 forum and would currently position it at the top of the first page.

With close to 20.000 views so far, it doesn't matter if the stats don't rise this thread on top, most important is that the community reads and cares about the future of Pro Tools.
Fact is, that the negativity is devastating, as expected from that announcement. Not only in DUC but in every other music community out there. The message is loud and clear but it falls on deaf ears.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisalion View Post
Well that's me tapped out.... I didn't mind paying $99usd to keep my perpetual licence up to date. But I'm done and after how long it took to get Mohave support I cannot understand how it can be justified. I paid a lot of money for my perpetual licence not to mention how much to keep it active. There is no way they will bleed $199 USD out of me.... Looks like I'm finally moving to Logic, at least I've had a licence that apple has supported for many many years at no additional cost.

Paying the yearly $99/199 fee does not keep your perpetual lic up to date. It has nothing to do with that. You already own PT paying the update and support plan allows you to keep PT at that latest version and you’re ability to call Avid support if and when things go pear shaped.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Just to be clear...... if you have a perpetual lic and if you stop playing the annual update and support plan.... [/COLOR][/I]
The problem for folks comes in when they buy a new mac with an old PT license. There is usually not any way to (easily if at all)back rev those boxes to an earlier os. Windows users don't have that particular issue if they are resourceful enough to build their own box.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post

It was moved like any other thread started in the wrong place, I don’t see any specific PT related chat going on here..... so it was moved to the lic thread because we are talking about licensing. What is the problem for you?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
The problem for folks comes in when they buy a new mac with an old PT license. There is usually not any way to (easily if at all)back rev those boxes to an earlier os. Windows users don't have that particular issue if they are resourceful enough to build their own box.
But that is nothing Avid can control nor should they be responsible for... even MS stops support on their old OS’s. I would say that is something the end user should be considering when purchasing a new puter.