Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Getting Protools on my MacBook Pro

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro that I bought in 2007-08. Here are the specs:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Software: OS X 10.8 (12A269)

I just want to be able to use Protools and edit my projects on the go or when I travel.

What mBox will work on my system (since protools will not work without the hardware obviously)? I've posted on here before and checked out the website and even went to music store. The people at the store are not 100% sure if it will work on my system - and will not allow returns even if it does not run on my laptop.

I just want to get the smallest hardware unit (so it is easy to carry etc.) and have Protools working on my system is all. But I want to be certain before I go purchase if it is compatible with my laptop specs.

Thanks for any help!

David
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Getting Protools on my MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDavest View Post
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro that I bought in 2007-08. Here are the specs:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Software: OS X 10.8 (12A269)

I just want to be able to use Protools and edit my projects on the go or when I travel.

What mBox will work on my system (since protools will not work without the hardware obviously)? I've posted on here before and checked out the website and even went to music store. The people at the store are not 100% sure if it will work on my system - and will not allow returns even if it does not run on my laptop.

I just want to get the smallest hardware unit (so it is easy to carry etc.) and have Protools working on my system is all. But I want to be certain before I go purchase if it is compatible with my laptop specs.

Thanks for any help!

David
What is the exact model name/date code for this MBP and Model Identifier. e.g. "MacBook Pro 17", Early 2008", MacBookPro4,1

What Pro Tools version are you talking about/currently using?

Do you have a Pro Tools license already -- for the projects you are working on now? So have you tried installing that version of Pro Tools on that MBP already?

There is a big section right at the top of this and every other DUC Web page - "Software Updates, Drivers, Manuals, Compatibility, Troubleshooting, etc. (Links)" you need to work out how to understand the product requirements and compatibility matrix.

No version of Pro Tools 11 is or will be officially qualified to run on such an old computer. But being qualified vs. being able to run are two different things.

Pro Tools 9 and on will run fine with the built-in audio in a Mac Book, if that is all you need.

Wether you have enough compute power to run your sessions is somethign you'll have to check. And you need a second dedicated audio/session drive. For the MBP, an external FW800 drive in this case or you can replace the internal optical drive with a HDD or better an SSD.

OS X 10.8? 10.8.0? really? You will want/need to upgrade that to run Pro Tools 11.

2 GB of memory, ah that is really a non-starter for Pro Tools 11. Stuff in as much RAM as you can. Your MBP may take an odd amount like 6GB, if so do that.

And you may be better off buying a new MBP that investing lots of money and time upgrading this one... and with a new MBP you would want to look at external thunderbolt drives (or the intenal SSDs are so fast you _may_ get away with usign the system drive for audio/sessions).

Avid has serious problems with Maverics (OS X 10.9), Core 2 Duo Macs and drivers for their USB interfaces and they are not going to fix that bug. You can work around it with some USB hubs, but that lack of support is yet another warnign to not buy an Avid interface, there are lots of great consumer ingterfaces out there. Many with better support. With no clue abotu your needs or budget nobody here can offer useful suggestions on interfaces to look at.

If you have not purchased Pro Tools 11 yet, the Eleven Rack + Pro Tools 11 Bundle can be a great way of buying it, especially if you want a guitar or bass processor. But you may run into that USB interface bug, and the Eleven Rack is not a small/portable interface.

And the way to make certain Pro Tools works is get the free Pro Tools 11 eval licenses. That needs an iLok 2 dongle. Get your MBP upgraded to Mavericks or at least 10.8.5. If you don't *need* to be on 10.8.5 then go to Maverics. You have to check OS X and driver compatibility for any their party interface you want to use. Do *NOT* do an OS X incremental update, do a complete wipe of the system, do not use the system migration (aka "system mangler") tool to move any apps over, do a complete reinstall of all the old apps and any drivers (moving user files with system migration way is fine). If you want an external interface get that third party interface first then test with the Pro Tools 11 trial, any problem you can return the interface. For small portable ones I'd look at Focusrite, they have had issues (like every vendor) but do have good support including by their staff on DUC.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 AM

Darryl:
In this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354158
he talks variously about having PT5.1, then 6.1 and then further in the thread PT7 and PT8 get mentioned so I don't think the op has any real concept of what he has. He was told in that thread that whatever he has in the way of PT unless he has PT7.2.1 or later it won't stand a chance of running on his laptop; 7.2.1 was the first universal binary version of PT. I guess he didn't get the answer he was looking for in that thread so another thread was started.

The op is so worried about having a small interface that he isn't looking at the bigger picture of whether whatever version of PT he has will run on his laptop. And he never really gave a detailed account of what his MacBook has in it.

QAPLA!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
7.2.1 was the first universal binary version of PT.
Correction: 7.3.0 was the first UB -- if there was an UB 7.2.1 it must have been released after 7.3.0
Old 05-09-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Correction: 7.3.0 was the first UB -- if there was an UB 7.2.1 it must have been released after 7.3.0
I got my info from this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...321?popup=true
where it says 7.2.1 is the first PT to run on Intel Macs which I'm assuming means it's universal binary. I was wrong which does happen when I don't read the whole page and also a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said it's the first version to run on an Intel Mac which is what it says.

QAPLA!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
...where it says 7.2.1 is the first PT to run on Intel Macs which I'm assuming means it's universal binary
Wrong assumption?

Quote:
This installer requires an Intel-based Mac to run. It will not work on a PowerPC-based Mac.
PT7.2 came in different installers for PPC and Intel as far as I can remember.... And it was one of the biggest selling points of PT7.3 that it is now UB (and IMO, 7.3 was kind of a lemon for me, rushed must-have-UB-release. I strongly remember that I liked 7.2 and 7.4 very much better).
Old 05-09-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I should have said it's the first version to run on an Intel Mac which is what it says.
That's correct :)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Darryl:
In this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354158
he talks variously about having PT5.1, then 6.1 and then further in the thread PT7 and PT8 get mentioned so I don't think the op has any real concept of what he has. He was told in that thread that whatever he has in the way of PT unless he has PT7.2.1 or later it won't stand a chance of running on his laptop; 7.2.1 was the first universal binary version of PT. I guess he didn't get the answer he was looking for in that thread so another thread was started.

The op is so worried about having a small interface that he isn't looking at the bigger picture of whether whatever version of PT he has will run on his laptop. And he never really gave a detailed account of what his MacBook has in it.
Sigh. Thanks.

Well if he wants to run a software/hardware museum he really needs to get his [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] together and work out what he is doing.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks lots for your input. If I understand correctly - I can run Protools 9 without using the hardward input/output interface? I just want to be able to edit wavs on my laptop as opposed to recording into my laptop via the hardware interface (such as mbox solo).

You see, I have the old 6.2 protools with digi 001 rackmount connected to a desktop mac G4 quicksilver that I record my guitar, etc into. I just want to be able to take that guitar wav and edit it on my laptop. That is all.

Please let me know if you need more specs for my machines for you guys to help me. Should I consider other software that will not need input/output hardware?

Sorry, and another point I want to make is that I dont have the luxury to spend a whole lot of more money in to this audio hobby. Which is why I tended to stick with my old DIGI 001 box that I paid lots of money for already! I would upgrade my system to the most current if I could - including my computers! But I am a home, amateur audio hobbyist and I am satisfied with what I have. I would consider purchasing all the new up to date fancy stuff like you pro audio guys - but I simply am not!

Thanks for any help.
I just want to edit wavs on my laptop!!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDavest View Post
Thanks lots for your input. If I understand correctly - I can run Protools 9 without using the hardward input/output interface? I just want to be able to edit wavs on my laptop as opposed to recording into my laptop via the hardware interface (such as mbox solo).

You see, I have the old 6.2 protools with digi 001 rackmount connected to a desktop mac G4 quicksilver that I record my guitar, etc into. I just want to be able to take that guitar wav and edit it on my laptop. That is all.

Please let me know if you need more specs for my machines for you guys to help me. Should I consider other software that will not need input/output hardware?

Sorry, and another point I want to make is that I dont have the luxury to spend a whole lot of more money in to this audio hobby. Which is why I tended to stick with my old DIGI 001 box that I paid lots of money for already! I would upgrade my system to the most current if I could - including my computers! But I am a home, amateur audio hobbyist and I am satisfied with what I have. I would consider purchasing all the new up to date fancy stuff like you pro audio guys - but I simply am not!

Thanks for any help.
I just want to edit wavs on my laptop!!!!
*You* have to work out what exact version of Pro Tools you can get on that laptop with a compatible exact OS X version. You can't buy Pro Tools 9 new any more, so you either own it already or need to buy a used old license. The compatibility info link is at the top of this page.

Pro Tools 9 or later do not require a dedicated external interface and can run on the Mac built-in output audio device. Whether you can run with just the built in output (e.g. enough monitor/headphone outs, headphone out OK, etc.) is somethign you have to work out. And I have _no_ idea what "edit wavs" means.

At some point there are diminishing returns of maintaining this old stuff and it starts to costs you time and money, and introduces compatibility hassles -- exactly like you are or are about to discover.

And now you will have some session and round-trip (and maybe plugin) compatibility hassles going from 6.x to 9, 10 or 11. Again, you need to be able to work this out for yourself/your audio museum, read the Pro Tools reference guide on session compatibility. If you buy a Pro Tools 9, 10 or 11 license to use on your laptop I suspect you will end up using it to track with (on your MBP if needed) and getting rid of the 001.