How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Tutorials

Hi

Can anyone recomend any good online or downloadable tutorials or even books for Pro Tools LE.. spefically dealing with audio mixing for television, film etc...

I have seen on a site protoolsusers.org somthing called Protools courseware 101... anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Tutorials

Hi!

www.grooveboxmusic.com <--- Best I've ever seen!

regards...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Tutorials

I can highly reccommend "The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools" by John Keane. Even though it is written for Pro Tools 6 I have used it successfully with Pro Tools 7.

It gives "hands on" instructions, not only on how to do things, but also, and more importantly, how to screw things up and then how to fix the mess. So many instruction books show you how to operate the software if everything goes perfectly. This one covers the not so perfect as well. Includes a CD with audio files with mistakes and hands on instructions on how to fix up the recording. A very practical book. I am about 1/3 through the book and it has already been a great benefit.

I also just picked up the "Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware" book and have just cracked it open (on page 52) so I can't give a decent review. So far it is an info dump about Pro Tools and how it operates. All good info and it covers stuff not in the John Keane book (unless I forgot it or missed it). A DVD and some hands on tutorial work are also part of the content.

Personally I would start with John Keane's book, he has a lot of practical "in the trenches" advice.

If you can, have a look at the PT courseware book and make your own decision about adding it to your collection. At first I thought it contained the same info as the PT Reference manual, and it does (duh!! same piece of software!!) however it is in an easier to read format - for me anyways - and also has better explanations of terms. I am looking forward to getting into the tutorials and seeing how they compare, process wise, to the other book. Like many software programs, there appears to be more than one way of doing things in PT.

That's my 2 cents, I am very much a newby and have only had my PT system about 6 months. I like the DVD's as well, but I also like being able to go back to the book and look at my own notes and comments.

Good luck

Signed
one of those weird guys that actually reads the manual