AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 -16gb
I use the internal display and a Dell U2415 for a second display
OS X 10.13.3
Pro tools Ultimate 2018.7.0
Avid HD OMNI
Artist Mix and Artist Control

_________
The issue at hand:

While I've had zero issues with audio, visually it's running very poorly. I work in Post and often have tracks with a TON of tracks. To scroll across 25 tracks that are at a medium track height can take 5-10 seconds.

I use clip gain a lot, and when I hit Command-Opt+Up/Down, I often hit it an excact number of times. For example, one of the editors I work with uses a particular sound effect very often that I know always has to come down about 10-20db depending on context. So I'll use the above key combo 20-40 times. It takes pro tools a solid 30-40 seconds to catch up.

The worst of these issues is when I want to change the length of a fade or extend/shorten a clip and I use the mouse to do it. I have to click, wait a half second, extend or shorten the clip, and then WAIT at least a full second before releasing the mouse. Otherwise it "forgets" what I just did, basically. Ridiculous. This is supposed to be a fast machine!?

I'm using the magic mouse and bluetooth keyboard, and I though those were the issue, but nope! I thought it was a system issue but nope! Every other program I use has zero of these issues.

It's so visually laggy that it reminds me of using windows 95 with several malware programs running in the background slowing everything down.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues with the same config as me? (or any config I guess) I'd love to hear your experiences.

Currently, my 2012 retina display mpb with a core 2 duo and 8 gigs of ram BLAZES this iMac pro. Not trying to rip on apple or whatever but this is just absurd.

I'm leaving work for the weekend but I look forward to hearing from anyone who has similar experiences (or a solution!) when I get back in on monday.

Cheers and have a great weekend!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Re: PT Performing quite badly visually, but audio is fine

If you need it Monday then Sat. at the office.

Back up, Bring the OS unto date for that machine.
(10.13.6)
Reset P-Ram

Is your Native system Thunderbolt or chassis?
Since a Mac Pro on a backup us the same format APFS
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
If you need it Monday then Sat. at the office.

Back up, Bring the OS unto date for that machine.
(10.13.6)...
you're recommending an unapproved OS??
Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 AM

Yeah, wouldn't recommend 10.13.6 for now.

Anything of interest going on in Task Manager? System Usage?

Take a look at Activity Monitor and see if anything's happening there.
Session on an external known-good drive?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-06-2018, 10:48 AM

I'm seeing the same thing on my iMac Pro, running 10.13.6. I call it Clip lag. Did you have this problem with any other computer? What plug ins are you using?

FYI, this is not occurring with Studio One, Nuendo/Cubase. Logic Pro, DP and Mixbus.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Hello,

Same problem here since the get go. Same setup except I have the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB. I contacted customer service with my support plan and they could not help. I follow avid guidelines to a T. The only thing that I got to make a difference was going to system preferences, displays, and setting the resolution to scaled and selecting the option right between larger text and default. I lost some screen real estate but it made a noticeable improvement with screen GUI lag. I tried 10.13.6, no dice. Other than that the performance is great.

Dave

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Recommending testing as the newest pro mac may be more in tune with the latest.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 PM

IDONTLIKEUSERNAMES, is your iMac Pro resolution using HiDPI?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
you're recommending an unapproved OS??

For a lot of users, it is working better than any recent approved OS!

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400868
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Hello,

Same problem here since the get go. Same setup except I have the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB. I contacted customer service with my support plan and they could not help. I follow avid guidelines to a T. The only thing that I got to make a difference was going to system preferences, displays, and setting the resolution to scaled and selecting the option right between larger text and default. I lost some screen real estate but it made a noticeable improvement with screen GUI lag. I tried 10.13.6, no dice. Other than that the performance is great.

Dave
Thanks for your response. (and thanks to everyone else as well!)

I played around with resolutions and apparently the whole machine runs better on the default resolution, especially pro-tools. I guess that's a fix, but it's a pretty bad one in my opinion.

And to whoever said to stay saturday if it needs to work monday: HAHAHAHAHA. no. They broke the system, they should be the ones to fix it. (I work at a network) I didn't ask for it (someone just said I did, really bizarre situation but that's another story). The old machine just needed a few tweaks. Instead I'm running on what is basically an experimental system. I actually asked for the last gen of cheesegrater mac and mavericks and PT 11 and they said no for some insane reason. Also, it works fine. It's just visually laggy which slows me down a bit. Audio performance is excellent.

As for details that others were asking about, I'm connecting via HD thunderbolt, my display was running at the highest resolution available, and I run almost exclusively izotope and avid plugins, with the occasional Slate VMR or VSC. EDIT: and my sessions are run from a networked server over a 10gbps connection. When I have issues, I put the sessions on a 1tb external SSD (thunderbolt or USB3) to check if that fixes anything. In this case there was no difference.

Thank you to anyone for your help and I'd still like to hear from anyone experiencing the same issue.