Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-15-2002, 03:05 PM

Default Disk too fragmented?

Lately, when I've been involved in a long recording session I'm getting an error message saying my disk may be too slow or too fragmented. I shut down and start back up and get the same message. I have alot of stuff on my 9GB X Project Drive but I still have about 2.5GB left and I'm still getting this message. I'll remove a session from the X Project Drive to create a lil breathing room and I'll be alright for a while. But after a while I'm back to the error message. I can't just take EVERYTHING off of my drive right now. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Disk too fragmented?

I suggest you defrag your drive using any of a number of available utilities.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM

Mr Peete:
I've used Norton Utilities for 12 years on
my Macs for optimization and de-fragmentation.
Some people don't like Norton - - I've never had a problem with it. Defragmentation helps pulls fragmented files together; but to really open up large amounts of space on a disk, you need to optimize.
Another way to consolidate/optimize/defragment is
to transfer all your material to another drive.
During the transfer process, the computer will
automatically de-frag and optimize as it retrieves
the data from the original disk.
Then you can either leave it on the 2nd drive or
erase the first drive and re-transfer the files
back to the first drive - - it should now be
all optimized with lots of open space.
I run 4 separate drives of various sizes for Pro-Tools and have been doing this type of data transfer, "bouncing" as it were, since 1991 for all sorts of programs and
have never lost material . . .
A few weeks ago this subject on Digidesign opened up a lotof controversy about whether tranfering data in this manner works or not - - maybe not for some - -
but for me and a lot of other old-timers, it works great!
So - long story made short - - optimize, or get a 2nd drive (something that's worth it anyway,and transfer. . . besides, you can use the 2nd drive as archive storage for ongoing projects.

Good luck!
J Hilton
Old 07-15-2002, 04:03 PM

Mr Peete,
Did you look and see if the "round-robin allocation" option is checked on? I can't remember where it is found (sorry, I'm not at the mac now) but I had this same error popping up recently, and found it on when I went looking for it - the odd part is I've never used this option before, so not sure how it got checked... of course your audio files will be in little folders with the same session name scattered across your drives (or partitions, which show as seperate drives on you desktop) if this is the case.
?

Harbour Sounds
Old 07-15-2002, 04:19 PM

The "too slow or fragmented" msg is generic, appearing whenever throughput pulling audio data from disk is too slow, for whatever reason.
Defragmenting your disks (my pref. is Speed Disk; but whatever) is a great place to start & IMHO should be done fairly often; it's also a good occassion to run Disk Doctor (Tech Tool, Disk Warrior, etc.), just to check for fleas.

Fragmentation is pretty high on DAW systems anyway; it does you no good to have 2.5GB avail. if it's all broken up into 1MB chunks spread all across the disk! Also, your PT Session audio files get spread physically across the disk - even though indiv. audio files may not be fragmented, if Regions from many files scattered all over the disk are being played in a Session; the head actuator arm is whipping all over the place trying to keep the playback buffer full. Using Speed Disk also gets all the files in the Audio Files folder packed neatly into contiguous sectors of the disk... although that never lasts!

Barring fragmentation, other causes of slow disk access could be:
1. You've included your int. system volume in the round-robin allocation, & either it doesn't meet spec, or the OS is diddling around with it; or
2. Some other process is creating activity on that disk & is getting in Pro Tools' way. Likely suspects here: File Sharing, Networking & AppleTalk; Norton File Saver, some hokey disk optimization or other background process.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:09 PM

I use Tech Tool Pro and it seems to do the trick.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:36 AM

The fastest and most effictive way to defrag is to back-up everything on another drive and reinitialize.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:31 AM

I was getting the "too fragmented" mesg on my friends iMac and found that changing the time allotted for recording form unlimited to 30 mins or 10 mins even(depending on what you're doing of course solved the problem. You can find this under the setup options...or hardware and other. Sorry, I as well am not at my mac [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]